The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that August is the best time to plant turnips for the fall. I was also going to reseed some clover and saw it can be planted in August as well. August is usually a pretty dry month. I'll be at camp the first week of August and won't get back until the last week of August. Am I better off waiting until the end of August to plant when it will hopefully have more September rain or is it ok to plant early in the month?

·
Registered
744 Posts
It is always a struggle planting food plots that are not close to one's home. We can only do things when we are there and mother nature doesn't always work on our schedule. Plant the beginning of August. You hope for a rain after planting but doesn't always happen. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
All of my turnips will be in by Aug 1st. I'll be spraying in between my field corn with round up this weekend. Then I'll hit it with a disc in a couple weeks and seed. I've had great success with purple tops they get the size of cantaloupes and deer love them.

·
Registered
12,376 Posts
Early August. I tried one year at beginning of sept and they never got much growth. Rain is a crapshoot but even if it sits for a while it should still germinate once it gets moisture.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Your are correct in all your thoughts. Getting rain is a roll of the dice. For my brassica planting I shoot for the last week of July due to my location.

3 weeks at camp - that is awesome!

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
We planted ours in mid-July. No rain for a while so they just started popping up in early August. Been a dry summer. I agree with planting earlier. They are just too small if you wait too long.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.