The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Planting the garden

14K views 53 replies 23 participants last post by  Q2XL12 
#1 ·
I'm still waiting to plant my garden due to all of this rain. Some things are in but I wont dare put the peppers or 'mater's in yet. You guys holding off too?

#2 ·
Most of ours has been in for weeks, the rest just isn't in 'cause we've been busy. Garlic and onions are up, peas, carrots, and lettuce sprouted, Brussels sprouts are looking good and tomatoes are rooting like crazy and starting to take off now that it's getting warm. The eggplant and peppers in the basement under lights really NEED to go in soon, they're getting a little crazy.

#5 ·
hippie I was afraid my tomatoes would get a fungus if I put them in now due to the very wet weather..

You guys think I'd be alright putting them in the next couple days? It seems like we're getting much more rain than not...

I think I have around fifty pepper plants (I get way too carried away when I start my seedlings....) and I'm definitly going to wait for those. (California Wonders, Banana, "Biker Billy" jalapenos, Red Popper's.)

#13 ·
I just started working in the garden. got half of it turned over by hand. hopin to get the rest turned over tonight to get taters and prestarted onions in this weekend.

#16 ·
I tilled my garden back in March those couple nice days we had. I planted my carrots and garlic today (way too late for the garlic) but it was donated by somebody and I had to save it. I'm debating putting beets in before I go to camp but I think I have no option. I did put four test peppers in, two are doing well..

The other two,

I lifted the fence to hang it on the posts to mow around the garden and forgot to put it back down (heavy thunderstorm) so a rabbit or something must have went in there and ate all the leaves off of two. The plants in the basement still are doing great I'm just hoping to get decent weather to finish hardening them off!

#17 ·
Also I'm on another forum for gardening and it's crazy because most of the people on there are from down South. Their growing season is like double what ours is. I don't stand much chance in the "biggest veggie" contests...

#20 ·
We are supposed to have sunny days until wednesday of next week, except for a little rain tonight and slight chance on sunday for some. Will be some great growing weather. I have not been able to find any pickling cucumber plants at SKH for a couple weeks. \

I really want to expand but I also have a nice 10 plant asparagus bed over in my dads garden that is doing really well. I will have to pick a couple handfuls tonight.

#21 ·
I'm putting it all in except for peppers this weekend. Haven't had frost in about a solid month now and the garden is turned, mulched, and ready for planting. We haven't had near the rain in the SE that all other regions have gotten. It's be a good amount here but not too much for the most part.

#24 ·
I have my Broccoli, Califlower and Cabbage in for only a week, wasn't able to get them in any sooner due to all the Rain!

Father-in-law and I were planning on putting the tomatoes in Tomorrow, he tilled up the Garden early this morning and let it go till around 1 and tilled it again and it was looking VERY GOOD....Around 3 I went out to clean some beer botles and looked down at the Garden and it was a Lake...

Neighbor decided to drain his pool cover and INSTEAD of putting the siphon hose out theu his fence to the alley, he stuck it at the side of the fence by our Garden and created the Garden to become a lake AGAIN...there goes planting anything Sunday!!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.