The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a planting schedule for normal garden variety veggies (tomatoes, cucumbers, pepppers, carrots, etc)? Or is it OK to plant everything at the same time here as soon as the weather breaks for a good in a week or so? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Carrots should be in the Ground Now along with all other Cold Crops-broccoli, brussels sprouts,cabbage, cauliflower, beets, turnips. lettuces, Spring/Sticking Onions (Sweet Onions that are "Sets" Plants,May 15 or a little later).

Tomatoes and Peppers, normally all areas of Pa, Safe time for those 2 are May 15 or After!

Cucumbers, a little after May 15, closer to the end of may.

Melons, Even later, certain melons need night time temps to be above 60 degrees!

Pumpkins, depending on the amount of days per the type of pumpkin, last week of June to July 4, this makes them grow clear up to right before Halloween and gives you Longer lasting Pumpkins!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
what about potatoes? I would like to have some for boiling,you know the ones that are the size or golf balls that you boil and then butter to eat?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You can plant your potatoes now,there below ground so the frost or freeze won't hurt them.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
treedaddy said:
what about potatoes? I would like to have some for boiling,you know the ones that are the size or golf balls that you boil and then butter to eat?
Something my cousin does when planting Potatoes Early.

Take your seed potatoes and cut them up so that 1 Eye on each piece.

Take and plow a nice Deep Trench. Lay Seed Potato Cuttings in Trench and cover with a nice layer of straw. When the Sprouts come up, lay another layer of straw, keep doing this till they are about 12 inches in height, then cover over the row with Dirt.

She swears that the straw gathers and holds more heat then the dirt and after it is covered over, makes a nice open area for nice sized potatoes to form!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The mice and moles should like all that straw and potatoes.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
Word of caution on jumping the gun when planting. I lost a field of young Buckwheat some years ago due to a hard frost May 22 ? or so. The plants really don't take off until the heat starts and the nights get warm and humind. Why press your luck with the frost-hazard plants ? Just wait til Memorial Day wkend or so for them.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Gardening season is always delayed here in the mountains. I wait until we get close to Memorial day. We always seem to get a good frost in the middle of May which always seems to get my fruit trees. The trees are just starting to bud and the grass just started turning green, the later the better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts