The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick food plot question. I am planting 3 plots in the next week or two. The plots are Imperial Extreme, Imperial Alpharack and turnips.

I plowed the plots, drug them, sprayed them with roundup and fertilized them about 2 and a half weeks ago. I am now ready to plant but am wondering if I can broadcast the seed now or if I should lightly disc or replow and re-drag the soil before brodcasting. In the last 2 weeks with the rain and then hot weather, the soil got pretty hard.

What would you do?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yeah, you will want to loosen the soil up before planting. It will provide better seed/soil contact and increase germination rates. I noticed that you have already fertilized, in the future you may want to consider fertilizing about the same time you plant. You will want to disc the fertilizer in. It is good to get the lime in ahead of the planting, but the fertilizer will be better utilized by the plants at the time of planting.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discing it again, at planting, will also help kill any seeds from weeds and grasses that have begun to germinate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts