The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY propery is very flat with a lot of clay. Where my leechfield is it doesn't drain all that well and remains a little soggy. My question is can you plant any type of trees or plants on a leechfield that help without hurting anything. My leechfield is a good ways from the tank itself. Wasn't sure where to put this post. So mods feel free to move where you see appropriate.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Do not plant any trees as the roots will cause a clogging problem. The best thing is a good crop of grass that you cut regularly. I would also recommend installing a berm above it to help divert surface runoff around your disposal field. You want to have the soil only have to absorb your wastewater. The biology works best when it drys out as the bugs need oxygen and the filling and emptying of the field will draw in oxygen as it drains.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The above is solid advice. I would not do anything on a leechfield. Even big rooted foodplot plants like winter (grain) rye or buckwheat might clog laterals and could do thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars damage. And any equipment run to may times could cause soil compaction that could also make the leechfield not function as well. I would stay off it as much as possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts