The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm looking to plant food plots on my grandfathers land. He has three gas wells on his property that have no tree growth and are fairly open. Would the soil around these wells support food plots or is the soil there unfertile?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The soil will be fine. The problem is the piping in the ground loaded to a high pressure with natural gas. Being an employee of a gas company I ask you please don't disturb any soil until you talk to them. Should be phone #s at each well site.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My Dad has several gas wells on his property that I've planted food plots on. The soils are fine, but most likely acidic like any other food plot. Like 123 said I would not till the soil unless you know exactly were the service lines are. From what I could tell they only buried them 12 to 18 inches deep.

I've never had much luck with the gas company getting back to me so I've used no till methods. I've had decent luck with spraying, broadcasting a clover mix, then dragging a bedspring over the area to cover the seed. They would probably do better if I limed the plots.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts