The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried this before?

I have always had a bird feeder in the back yard. I noticed how birds would knock the food down and it would start to sprout, so I figured, what the heck, I’ll spread some around the food plot. I didn’t spend much time on it, just hit an area of 20’ x 20’ with some roundup, waited a week, cleaned it out and planted the bird food.

It has been about 2 weeks and there’s green stuff coming up. I don’t know what it is, I don’t know if the deer will eat it, but this experiment was cheep and it took very little time.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
should work well.
next year im just gonna plant garden peas and garden bush beans in a food plot since i can get bulk seed for cheap and the deer seem to like them in the garden and in feilds.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
turkey4life said:
should work well.
next year im just gonna plant garden peas and garden bush beans in a food plot since i can get bulk seed for cheap and the deer seem to like them in the garden and in feilds.
LOL. one of the local farmers in Potter planted string beans one year. The next year, he gave us his leftover seed to plant. This was in 2000, when there were a ton of deer up there. I don't think a single bean plant in that 3 acre field made it past 3 inches tall.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The stuff I planted did not have any thistle in it. There was a fair amount of black sunflower seed but a lot of other round seeds. I guess the fun in this is not knowing what I'll get.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i use bird food type seed to make a outer hedge around the plots, it gives them energy food for the winter and cover to be in those plots more often.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts