The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some opinions.
What is the better time to hunt Spring or Fall ?
And where would you go. Researching New Brunswick Manitoba Newfoundland and Maine. I've looked through the recommendations in previous posts. and have a partial list of outfitters that I'm considering. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
374 Posts
No matter who you pick choose an outfitter that pre baits the site. And baits the site for you. A few friends had horrible luck on hunts where they were handed a 5 gallon bucket with bait and a map and drove themselves to the stand. I'd ask how many hunters they have in camp, that could be an indication of a meat market type of outfitter. Roughly 10 hunters in camp is a good number. If you get a lot more they are probably just trying to make as much money as possible and not to concerned with your experience.

The outfitter we went with started the baits the maximum amount of days before the season started legally allowed. Then when we picked stands by pulling names from a hat so they didn't show favoritism to a returning client. They would walk us to the stand. We would then be picked up after shooting light was over.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Things to consider:

Spring or fall? I don't think it makes much difference as far as seeing bears, that depends more on the weather and luck than anything else. But, any bear you kill in the fall will weigh more than that same bear would have in the spring. I've done both and I'd say I like fall better, but since I'm booked for this spring in New Brunswick I guess i Like both.

If you want the best pelt, go early in the spring. Be careful not to go TOO early as they may still be denned up, mid to later May is good.

If you want the best chance of a good scoring boar, go later in the spring when they are in rut and the big boys are cruising for sows.

If you want a chance for a color phase bear, you'll have go to Manitoba and west of there where they are common, they are very rare in the east.

Unless you really have a bug to go to Newfoundland, it's a long ways and expensive to get there. I'm going there this fall but we're going for moose. I wouldn't go to all that expense and trouble for a bear I could kill in Maine, NB, Quebec or Ontario for half the price and way less travel.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Stony Brook Outfitters. He does Spring in New Brunswick and Fall in Maine. Straight up kind of Guy. No [censored] or Lies. PM me and I will fill you in.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Turnpike Ridge Outfitters in Maine for a fall hunt. Incredible bear outfitter run by one of the best Don Helstrom. Here's a few I've taken with Don. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
340 Posts
try W.T Outfitters in Danford lake Quebec. 9hr drive from central PA. Lot of bear and chance to get a big one. Started going with them in 2006 and have been going several times a year since. Good hunting and lots of fun.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You do it once you'll be hooked! It's not like people think. it's a great time to be in the woods when everything is turning green and coming alive, just make sure you take a thermocell(2 would be better) and scent spray. their noses are unbelievable! Everything I have read they claim their nose is 7-10 times better than a bloodhound.And regardless of what is said they can see and their hearing is excellent! Enjoy and good luck! Wherever you go good luck! Get a big one!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
7mm STW said:
You do it once you'll be hooked! It's not like people think. it's a great time to be in the woods when everything is turning green and coming alive, just make sure you take a thermocell(2 would be better) and scent spray. their noses are unbelievable! Everything I have read they claim their nose is 7-10 times better than a bloodhound.And regardless of what is said they can see and their hearing is excellent! Enjoy and good luck! Wherever you go good luck! Get a big one!

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
big28hunter said:
7mm STW said:
I'll third that! Five years ago I booked my first bear hunt... figured I'd just like to collect one of these critters once in my life... heading up to NB for my fourth hunt this May.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Honestly I never thought I would like a hunt like this. Just assumed it was shooting and not hunting. Man was I ever wrong. My son and I went last year for our first baited hunt and I have to say it was the most exciting hunt I ever did and I didn't even get one. My son took one on our second day with a bow. I actually enjoyed it more than PA bear hunting.

Can't wait to do it again

·
Registered
1 Posts
If your interested in a bear hunt spring or fall Manitoba is a great place. Here in Manitoba we have a 20-33% or greater colour phase bear population depending location in the province. Spring bear has the thickest heavier pelts and later in spring end of May to start of July you hit the rut and see lots of bear movement. Fall bear you get a very nice pelt with longer hairs and less rubbed spots, bears will gain almost 30% or more in mass, but you have to compete with natural food spources ie berries. If you look at northern Manitoba fishing is always great and an option some places walleye are thick as weeds.

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
Take at least two Thermocells and about 100 of the butane refills (LOL) If you get eaten by those pesky blackflies, you'll regret not having them. They're kind like a housefly with teeth like a beaver!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts