The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of the Navy guys are Plank Owner,and what Ship or rating?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'am a plank owner of the USS John F Kennedy CVA-67,and the Master at Arms rating.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
....and for any other dummies (like me) who have never heard the term----here ya go.

Ironically, you will find if you read that link--the USS Long Beech was the last US Navy ship to be built with a wood deck. The Long Beach was commissioned in 1961.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Navy vet, never on a ship. always been on the green side. never got the chance at a MEU so no ships for me.
HM1 NEC 8404 (FMF)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Not a plank owner, just a USN vet.

U.S.S. Jason AR-8, 92-95, She was decommed after 50 years of sevice. Got to fly the Don't Tread On Me flag on our last west pac.

U.S.S. Kitty Hawk CV-63 95-96

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
We had wooden deck planks in our well deck. USS Rushmore, LSD 14, now decommissioned and replaced with another of the same name.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not a plank owner however, when I was on the USS Lexington AVT-16 she had a wooden fightdeck (the landing area was steel). I actually watched an A6 put the nose gear through the deck.

·
Registered
12,887 Posts
I was never in the Navy, but I have in the past owned a Lyman 19' Sportsman. It had a newer 90 hp Johnson outboard on it. Great fishing boat, but taking care of all that wood just wasn`t my thing. My brother use to own a few Mathews woodies, all over 40 foot long and a custom made woodie that was 52 foot long that was made in Erie,PA in the 50`s.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
NOPE....nope, sorry octagon if you didn’t have the boat new and be on board for its initial cruise it does not count.
However, being a boat owner does make you a member of the “hole in the water club”

You do know the meaning of BOAT is :
B—Break
O—Out
A—Another
T--Thousand

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HoneyBrookHunter said:
Plank owner for the USS Chicago SSN-721 as a STS3. Also decom "owner" of USS Guitarro SSN-665. I served my 20 years.
Welcome Home.

You did your 20 under water and I did my 22 years on the water.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
HoneyBrookHunter said:
14 of it was underwater, the other six was on as a MN1
MN1? I was a MN2! small world, Charleston FMWTC MOMAG 5 Sigonella and MOMAG 8 Guam

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
I got out just before the rate was going to sea. We might know some of the same people, being the rate was so small.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts