The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is for the purpose of giving your fellow HPAers a heads up on public and private atv riding areas. Feel free to give a description of the types of riding conditions, the location, cost of riding on private land, camping or hotel availability.

Also any other important info that you feel a first time rider to the location should know before making the trek.

Thanks and enjoy.....

bootmud

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Snow Shoe Rails to Trails
Snow Shoe, Pa (Centre County)
Private club with annual dues
Cost:
$15 a year for the 1st quad
$13 a year for the 2nd
$11 each additional in the same family (registered to the same person)
Tons of riding from beginner to intermediate.
Nothing real difficult, but trails go on plus there is a good bit of legal roads to ride.
Not much in the form of lodging
Theres a campground up the road but youd have to trailer the quads to the trailhead.
There is primative/self contained camping allowed at the trailheads, but no running water or bathrooms/showers
There are ahowers however up at the truckstop.
Lots of gas/food nearby and very easy to get to.
For more info visit
SSRT

Thanks

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
No one has posted here in a while and since I'm doing a safety class there figured I'll throw out a good state trail to ride.

Susquehannock State Forest on Rte 6 in Potter County
Potter County - 43 miles of summer trail. A loop trail located south of Denton Hill State Park. Access to the trail is from Lyman Run State Park, on SR 44 north of Cherry Springs, or the intersection of Rock Run Road and the Ridge Trail (ATV trail). Registered Class II ATV's are permitted on this trail that are less than 58" in width and less than 1,200 pounds.
Contact: Susquehannock State Forest, PO Box 673, Coudersport, PA 16915
Phone: (814) 274-3600

43 miles of easy to intermediate trails...most are old logging roads. You can also ride a good bit of secondary roads up there plus there are many locals that allow you to use trail connectors on their land to go from one area to the next.
I put on over 150 miles in one weekend without even trying and have a blast.

There is several lodging options up there but the one I choose to stay at is Potter County Family Campground
Potter County Family Campground
If you chose to stop there talk to Mark and Jen....they are the owners and are great down to earth family oriented people.
Jen will definately be able to give you the scoop on local riding. Tell her Shawn sent ya.

The Bath houses and restrooms are always clean (even after all those dirty riders mess them up...they are cleaned multiple times throught the day)
They have everything from primative tent camping...to campsites with water/electric/sewer to small/medium and large family size cabins.

The rates are very reasonable and the best part is it is a pet/atv friendly campground. You can ride straight from your site to the trails.

Hope to see you out on the trails
Have fun and ride safe!!!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Thanks Shawn, just showed that to my wife and she's like, cheap fun weekend, we know several other couples with quads who like to camp, let's go this year.

Cheap, bring our big tent, bring the dog, trailer up the quad....

I'm like, it closes in September, next year.

Remember, our early SRA bow season opens in three weeks.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
As a side note...(Thanks for making me think of it Wyte)

Susq SF trail is a Summer trail system.....it is open from
The Friday prior to Memorial Day to The last full weekend in Sept.

Its definately one of the best State Trails...but I'll do more reports on some more later on.......as always

Have fun and ride safe!!!

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Could you give us a little more in your own words about tctr and Rausch Creek? rather than just links?
There is a lot of controversy going on at those riding areas (mainly because its run by the same corporation.

I dont think any of us put in here for an advertisement purpose, but do, in our own words give recommendations of places to ride and stay.

I would just be interested in why you think its great place to ride?

BTW I used to ride Tower City 20 + years ago...before any type of money was involved, and it was a blast every weekend.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
QT...Haneyville trail is in Lycoming....Also Pike county has 2 trails...the one right outside of Peck's Pond looks like fun (never rode it, but have hunted back there a couple of times.)

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
michaux state forest piney ridge trail system

I have rode this track a good bit since I bought my fourwheeler. This trail system is only 30 minututes away and really works well with my style of riding. The trails are rated from easiest/green intermediate/blue and advanced/black. There are two main black trails. The black trail called rocky pass is exactly that. A draw in the side of the mountian that has rocks the size of your head and sometimes larger. Going up or down is about the same experience level. Nothing that is really off camber. this trail harldy get rode by the amount of timber that is laying on the trail along with how tight the underbrush is choking out the trail. The second black trail is called graves ridge. This trail I would recomend you have someone with you. Preferably two others with you. There are a few spots that get off camber and having a tire off the ground is normal. There is a video below that shows part of the ridge. The blue trails are not to difficult but are a good proving grounds. There are alot of blue trails on this system. If you get a chance go up on top of bear hill. the views are great throughout the winter and summer months. Another good blue trail to ride that normally has mud in is the blue trail that loops graves ridge. The red trails on this sytem are pretty rocky for a easy trail. but it does cut down on the sport quads running wild all the time. In the winter time there is a acess road that is open on the southern side of the trail system. Do not get caught riding on it unless you have a good reason(like someone was hurt). There are two parking lots. Both have plenty of parking space to park a trailer. There are also unloading docks at both locations. One thing you definately might want to take with you on a ride at michaux is tire plugs and some means of pumping up a tire. I have not got any slices yet. But I have offered my mini air compressor to other riders on the trail. Also make sure you print out a map of the trail system. There has only been one time I was up there that they had maps in the holders. There is camping available at the bendersville parking lot to the east of the trial. You can stay at the campground but must still trailer your quad to the trailhead. You can also stay at the open area south of the parking area. You must get a permit from the state forest headquarters to do so. DCNR checks insuarance and registration regularly.

If you like rocks then this is the place for you. there are tons of em. The green trail even has some rocky sections in it. Sport quads may have some problems. Great place to take a UTE.

Trail map http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/Forestry/atv/images/D01_ATV_1.pdf

video of graves ridge

·
Registered
98 Posts
wytetail said:
Thanks Shawn, just showed that to my wife and she's like, cheap fun weekend, we know several other couples with quads who like to camp, let's go this year.

Cheap, bring our big tent, bring the dog, trailer up the quad....

I'm like, it closes in September, next year.

Remember, our early SRA bow season opens in three weeks.
i been a member there since 2003. its a fun place to camp and enjoy the trails. its the only game in town for mew and my family. i am from jersey and here u cant ride .

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Adam...I understand about nothing in Jersey

And hope you didnt take offense to my previous post....I just enjoy (as I think the others do also) when a fellow rider, kind of explains a bit about the area they are recommending.

Didnt even mean it to be a put down to either Tower City or R-C...just have been hearing conflictions and poor reviews of the areas and like when someone says
"I like this place because......."

Any place that allows riding cant be ALL bad and theres way too many spots getting shut down for one reason or another.

·
Registered
98 Posts
no effense was taken.. the poster asked if there was any public and private atv riding areas and i posted what i know.. the place is ok. it cost me 100.00 per month thats includes a camp. any questions e mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Lifes2Fun said:
QT...Haneyville trail is in Lycoming....Also Pike county has 2 trails...the one right outside of Peck's Pond looks like fun (never rode it, but have hunted back there a couple of times.)
Pike County Maple Run

That trail gets full and is not even worth talking about, Lots of people from New Jersey and New York . Hunting used to be good many years ago around there now very scarce and lots of PGC-DCNR fences

Sold my state cabin there last year as most the ATV not all ,just fly back and forth in the parking lot which is illegal!

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
Susq SF trail is a Summer trail system.....it is open from
The Friday prior to Memorial Day to The last full weekend in Sept.

Its definately one of the best State Trails...but I'll do more reports on some more later on.......as always
Came thru Lyman Run SP on Memorial Day Sunday and out the road to Rt. 6 by Potato City. That trail was being used and used heavily. Hard to tell there's a recession on, or gas prices were creepin' up.

Seemed to be more side by sides there, this year, including several of the newer, jazzed-up buggies.

·
Registered
22,058 Posts
No worries about exceeding the speed limit on that trail Big Ben....Looks like fun!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
bloody skillet trail system

This is a summer and winter trail system. it is located in the sproul state forest in the northcentral part of the stste. I rode there recently. initial thoughts on the system? like most of the riding up there. mostly all old strip mines. not too rocky or bumpy. good smooth riding. there were two nice areas that you could see for a ways. the long black trail is not bad at all. there is one moderate hill climb. any machine should make it. the sport guys had a problem but that was caused by the slow pace. make sure you take a gps. I turned into the trail guide that day and even with a map you can get lost quick. there were several times we came to intersections of trails that were not on the map. mismarked trail markers also. The best parking area by far is the northern one. the middle one is a ruff ride up to the parking area from dehass road. and the bottom one at the brickyard I have been told is a rutted out washed out mess. good family riding with alot of wildlife. even with the amount of riders we had we seen turkeys deer and other critters. dusty also. but hey there were no rocks. there is also three play areas. the southern most one that is the largest is the best out of the three. most of the vistas were not able to be seen the best one by far is the one between marker 31 and 34 on the green trail. there is another good spot that is a decent vista that is not on the map and it is on the green trail between marker 36 and 37

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/atv/d10_ATV_BloodySkillet.pdf

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anybody rode the rocky gap trails in the allegheny nat'l forest? Have a camp 3 miles from it but never actually took the quad up, was just wondering if anyone could tell me if its worth while or what. What to take and if its pretty tight trails or if its fairly wide open. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
351 Posts
tri county atv has i believe 800 acers to ride and memers are allowed to hunt the property. ive seen lots of deer,bear,grouse, and other small game animals up there. 95 bucks a year and its open to riding 24/7 except during the 2 weeks of rifle season which hunting is permitted. they have drag races and all kind of family events and small kitchen open on weekends. camping is allowed. its a great facility with lots of great people. http://www.tricountyatv.com. its located in indiana, pa

1 - 20 of 28 Posts