The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Depends on the bill. Might be better to ask the question and have the answers given as percentages of the total bill.

I would think right around 20% is good for the tip.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
I give them 20% but nothing less then $5.00
If I only order one pizza and am that darn lazy to have it delivered then I deserve to pay.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
i tell them not to be late

seriously normally $5.00 depending on how they handle themselves when making the delivery .

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
As a former college pizza guy myself, I agree it depends on the order but ALSO how far I had to drive to deliver it. A large pizza and nothing else within a mile or two deserved a buck or two. Keep in mind that I always tried to leave the shop with more than one delivery so if I drove a mile and got a buck and went another 3 miles and got 2-3 bucks more made that a nice little half hour trip. Now if I had a large lunchtime order (by large I mean over $125) and I was on time and polite, I expected to walk out of there with maybe $10 or so by the time they all pitched in. I once took an order like that and busted my butt to be there early with fresh out of the oven food and after carrying all that stuff in in 2 trips through the rain I was rewarded with about $3.50. The next time I had an order there... I showed up half way through lunch. OOPS !
The nicest tips I ever got was over $40 for a $50 order and I was once met by the lady of the house at the door in her bra. It didn't go any further but it was certainly entertaining.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I noticed on the recipt of my local place that they add the tip on the price, I don't remember the % offhand, but if they want to add it in without giving me the choice, wheather it is good or poor service, that is all they get.

·
Administrator
30,854 Posts
puma4440 said:
I noticed on the recipt of my local place that they add the tip on the price, I don't remember the % offhand, but if they want to add it in without giving me the choice, wheather it is good or poor service, that is all they get.
Mandatory tipping for pizza delivery? There's no way I'd ever give an outfit like that another order!

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
I'm usually pretty good about it, having done that job before. Those poor guys don't make much, and they work hard. Though the people you get to meet are kinda like a bonus. I was offered Marlboro Miles, Green Stamps, six packs, acid and marijuana. Being under 21, the six packs were great. On occasion, you happen into a delivery like the cheerleader end of year slumber party. Directions to peoples houses are the best. "Turn left at the cannon, and go a few miles down a long dark road. My house is one of the houses there." The odd part about it-the poorer the people, the better the tips. I started to refuse to deliver to rich people. They were generally rude, didn't tip, and behaved like you were some dirtbag that was disturbing them by delivering the food THEY ASKED FOR!!! It's those folks who have bad things happen to their food.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Birch812 said:
I give them 20% but nothing less then $5.00
If I only order one pizza and am that darn lazy to have it delivered then I deserve to pay.
Exactly my opinion. If I am in a lazy mood, I am not going to stiff a guy for catering to me. For some reason, I have a soft spot for the person delivering my pie! Maybe it is the aroma of hot pepperoni and melting cheese

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
My brother used to deliver pizza for a living so I understand how important the tips are. Most places pay very little per hour. I normally give them around 5 bucks.

Sometimes the tips are not only cash. I've knows my brother to come home with beer, a pack of smokes, and on more than one ocassion he came home with funny looking cigarettes. Depends on who you deliver too.

The thing that got me was I was a recent collage grad working my first job out of school. He made more money than I did by a wide margine.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
rabbitslayer said:
The nicest tips I ever got was over $40 for a $50 order and I was once met by the lady of the house at the door in her bra. It didn't go any further but it was certainly entertaining.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts