The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first beagle in the spring been taking him out 3 times a week. Been running him wherever I can but just can't seem to find a decent rabbit spot trying to get any help finding one before season starts... I can already tell I will be a life long beagle owner can't wait to get him on his first rabbit

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anywhere I don't mind traveling at all Washington is not far at all got permission from simmons farm hopefully that pans out for something

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also was wondering if anyone uses beagles for grouse and any different tips on training them for this

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm more towards Indiana hunting for rabbit area. Don't know about grouse hunting beagles do they bark on bird sent? I've seen guys run them on pheasant.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dont know about grouse beagles but rabbit huntin around pittsburgh area is great im 25 miles north of the burgh. Beaver County

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I run my dog on pheasants if I get the chance. Hopefully his bark will change so you know he's on a bird, otherwise the flush will just happen any old place. The trick is to either follow him when he's on a bird (if the bark is different) or hunt open fields where you can run the birds down if they flush way out there. I only ever shot one grouse with a beagle, and I was just goofing off, not really even hunting. I think grouse would be pretty tough with a hound. But hey, if you put the time in who knows? Maybe you can discover the next great grouse dog!

·
Registered
24,755 Posts
some will naturally open on grouse or woodcock or pheasant some will track silent without opening and some will just ignore feathers. I prefer the latter but to each his own>

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
None of mine show any reaction to woodcock. Jumped about a dozen last weekend. Haven't had any exposure to grouse and pheasant.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have one that will only open on rabbits, one that will open on rabbit and pheasant, and one that will open on rabbit, pheasant, grouse, woodcock. As long as it doesn't have hooves, run it like it owes you money.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys a lot of good info I'll experiment with grouse see what happens loving running dogs tho I'm addicted already it's a thing of beauty to see him chasing one

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Smoke'n Mack said:
I have one that will only open on rabbits, one that will open on rabbit and pheasant, and one that will open on rabbit, pheasant, grouse, woodcock. As long as it doesn't have hooves, run it like it owes you money.
+1

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Smoke'n Mack said:
Right on!! Nothing like running a Gray Fox...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Andy Purnell said:
Smoke'n Mack said:
Right on!! Nothing like running a Gray Fox...
If I had access to a gray fox pen I'd only run rabbits in season, LOL

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have one that opens on rabbits/pheasant.
Have flushed grouse/woodcock, but don't recall if he was giving any mouth or not.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Here's my oldest male (copper) that I've used for grouse. He hunts close on birds, has a different bark, and retrieves them. I didn't train him to do any of it. I just happened to see his natural ability one day. I've tried my other dogs on grouse but none of them compare to him.

Pictured is one of my good friends with his true double.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A guy up my camp stocked 55 pheasants in a field right up by there I am definitely going in there to hunt Saturday the question is so I bring the pup (beagle) in with me... Wanted to see how he will react to birds

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
How old is the pup? If it were me the dog would be going. Not only is it a chance to introduce him to pheasants (if you are going to let him chase birds) but you may also run across some bunnies. Obviously if the pup is very young, leave him. Has he (she?) been started yet?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He is a year and a half I got him when he was 9 months had a lot of bad habits already and was not trained to hunt by then but i been working with him a lot and this is the first true hunting trip for him I have had him in the woods a lot but this is first time in season

1 - 20 of 30 Posts