The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
And Pitt now admist that basketball is the number one sport at the school.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I might be in the minority, but I hate to see Pitt leave the Big East, at least for their basketball program. I think it's a great basketball conference. Of course the ACC is as well. Football, the Big East is more like the Big Least.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
With Pitt and Syracuse leaving the Big East, It's basketball takes a huge hit. Joining Pitt and Syracuse with Duke and N.Carolina makes that conference probably the toughest in the league. Sure the Big East will still have Uconn,Georgetown and Villanova, the rest of the league is average at best. Plus I've heard on ESPN that the ACC is looking at Uconn and Rutgers as well.

·
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Uconn and Rutgers

Maybe March Madness should just be upper half of ACC + a few teams

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Pitt/UNC or Pitt/Duke will be great games, and I think it will help Pitt in the tournament if they have to hit free throws to win regular season games. I am simply befuddled by the abject failure of Pitt to address that area of their game, as it has been a problem for about a decade or so. Since the first time the players stepped onto a court, the free throw line has been in the same place, yet some can't even manage to be 50% from the line.

·
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
steelerfan58 said:
Pitt/UNC or Pitt/Duke will be great games, and I think it will help Pitt in the tournament if they have to hit free throws to win regular season games. I am simply befuddled by the abject failure of Pitt to address that area of their game, as it has been a problem for about a decade or so. Since the first time the players stepped onto a court, the free throw line has been in the same place, yet some can't even manage to be 50% from the line.
To be fair, that is the only stat in basketball that has not changed dramatically in the history of the sport, but, I also think F/T are one the most important parts of the game.

·
4,245 Posts
The ACC accepted them but they are required to give the Big East 27 months notice before leaving. Don't like seeing a good basketball conference broken up but they are going to another good one.

Competition will be tougher and Pitt will need to step up their recruiting game if they want to hang with Duke and NC.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
CRENoutdoors said:
steelerfan58 said:
To be fair, that is the only stat in basketball that has not changed dramatically in the history of the sport, but, I also think F/T are one the most important parts of the game.
They are free points. And the ACC plays a somewhat higher scoring brand of basketball, so those points will be very important. I just don't understand how these guys can be so horrible at the line. But overall, I like the move. The ACC is equal to the Big East in basketball, superior in fact because the ACC teams actually win the NCAA tournament. Pitt will benefit from that since they have the hardest time once the real games start. They are a better conference for football, hands down, with teams like GA Tech, VA Tech, Florida State, Clemson and NC State, and if I'm not mistaken, they actually play a championship game. I hope that Pitt will still be able to play WVU and Penn State, but if they don't, it will still be a better move. The fact is that the WVU game generally never means a whole lot as far as national championship hopes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts