The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Encore 12" 44 magnum that I decided I would like to place a sighting optic on. The only issue is I do not know what to what scope I would like to go with. Im hoping to stay in the $200 dollar range. I am also worried about what will hold up to the shock.

as I see it my options are:

Standard Pistol scope 1x or 2x maybe variable up to 6x
tube style red dot 20 to 30 mm
hologram style red dot.

This gun will be a deer hunting gun. Any one with experience and advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I have 3 scoped Deer Hunting revolvers. They all wear red dots. I personally have never found a magnified pistol scope that I am able to get a good sight picture with in the field. I have a redhawk .44, redhawk .41 and a S&W .357. All Ultradot scopes.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I've hunted with a scoped Super Redhawk for quite some time. It is a 2-6x variable scope. When hunting, the scope is set at 2x but I like the ability to be able to crank up the magnification if needed.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
All of your choices are good and none of them is going to prevent you from killing. A 12" 44 is not going to give that much recoil where that will be a major issue. I really like the red dot or holo sights for hunting out to 100yds but I like a small dot and they can get expensive. Mine is a discontinued Leupold Gilmore with a 2 MOA. Its now on my slug gun.

I have a Leupold 2X fixed on my SRH 454, taken both deer and bear with it. 2X is all you need on big game out to 100yds for actually pulling the trigger. Had a 4X and couldn't stand it, just too difficult to follow and find something in the brush. I guess a variable would work there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've got a 4X Leupold on my 14" .444, but want to swap to a Burris fixed or variable, or even a Simmons variable. I have a Vortex SPARC on a Buckmark Silhouette that is a really easy to use red dot at around $175 price point.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I have some 2-6 Burris' but you will find the lower end magnification seems to be best in hunting situations..mine are normally set on 2-3 power.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
I went with a 2x and hate it! Might as well not even have a scope. I've replaced it with a variable. Any of you 2x guys its a Weaver in excellent condition if you are interested

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have a Leupold 2-8 power on Taurus Ragging Bull. As others have said 2 power is about all that is useful in a hunting situation. Anything 6 power and up is nearly impossible for me to find anything in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts