The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my mom comes to me yesterday and tells me she is going to buy my brother and I pistols for christmas!
She wants me to take her to the gun shop and pick 2 out for my brother and I. We will be getting the same ones. I will be looking for a hunting revolver! Either 44mag or 357 unless you guys have another choice to throw in the mix..This revolver will be used primarily for Whitetail deer.It will more than likely not be scoped. My questions for you are:

What barrel length
What caliber
what make (taurus, smith, ruger, etc)
And do you have any pics of your favorite?

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I love my Ruger Super Redhawk, 44 Mag, 7 1/2" barrel topped with a 4x Leupold. Amazingly accurate, easy on the hands, and easy to carry in a shoulder holster.

·
Registered
25,493 Posts
What barrel length
What caliber
what make (taurus, smith, ruger, etc)
The 44 mag is a far better choice for deer hunting, in my opinion. 6" barrel length will do fine. Lots of Ruger and Taurus fans, but my 6" 44 mag is a S&W M629.

Scoped hunting revolvers are fer sissies.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If this is going to be your first handgun I'd say a 357.Ruger or S&W If you want to be even a half decent shot your going to have to practice

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
For a hunting revolver,I have always been partial to the 8 3/8 inch barrel. I have had, over the years, the S&W M29, S&W M629, Taurus M44 and The Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull.

That said, If I were to buy another hand cannon, It would be the S&W M29. I am partial to blued steel and like the long barrel for aiming stability, sight radius, and just that little extra velocity and energy. The M29 is a classic.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
First off you have an awsome mom!! LOL
I have a Ruger Super RedHawk in 44Mag. LOVE IT! It is the 9&1/2" barrel. I like that barrel length for the accuracy for farther shots. I also have it scoped. I use it for deer and bear. It also has a very special meaning to me. It was my fathers and his first handgun he bought.

My father has a Ruger BlackHawk in 357Mag. I like that also. I believe it is a 7&1/2" barrel. It also is a great deer hand gun. Could it be used for bear? Yes, but it wouldn't be my first choice. The 357 does have yes recoil than a 44mag(obviously) and weighs less.

If you like choose a caliber that has a lower power counter cartridge. Examples 44Mag & 44 special, 357Mag & 38special, 454Casul & 45Colt. etc. Pratice with those lesser power cartridges then when you feel your ready try the hunting rounds.

I would recomend the 44mag (personally). It can take down anything in North America. You may not think about going out for bear now, but maybe later? Or a big awsome hunting trip to somewhere else for a large game species. The 44mag is a time proven cartridge.

I also would recomend the S&W 629 another great hunting handgun.
Me personally I don't like the taurus handguns. Just my opinion though.

My Ruger Super RedHawk (in 44Mag)

My fathers Ruger BlackHawk (in 357mag)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input! I am going to go with the 44mag. I am going to consider the ruger and the Smith. Anyone have opinions one over the other? as far as action and feel? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I like the 629 S&W with a 6" Barrel for an unscoped handgun.
You can't go wrong with either the S&W or Ruger Redhawk.

Handle both side by side. Shoot both if you can and make your decision on which one feels best to you.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I'm a smith fan, but you can't go wrong with ruger either. I'm also a fan of double action pistols. As stated above, I dislike taurus also, but it's just my opinion. I've got a 629 stealth hunter see the post below #1 go to Handgun.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What are the dislikes of the Taurus? I heard they were pretty good pistols?

I called my dealer today and he gave me a price of 1029.00 for a Smith and wesson 629 comp hunter in a nickel or stainless finish whatever smith calls it. that a good deal? I called 2 other places and they were more money. He gave me a price of 669.00 for the Ruger super red with a 9-1/2" or a 7-1/2" barrel whichever one I wanted....??

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would look at the Taurus Model 66 7 shot 357 Mag 6" barrel adjustable sights stainless or blue finish. They have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked at a Titanium raging bull taurus that was new and didn't care for it other than the weight! SUPER light. Other than that I didn't like the dual release for the cylinder
or the overall feel and look of the revolver.

He said he can do the 629 classic with the 6-1/2"barrel for 769.00. The price of $1029.00 was for the comp hunter in the "specialty" section of the Smith and wesson catalog. Didn't care much for the looks of it.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I'd go with the 629 classic, it's a good solid built pistol. The "performance center" pistols are a lot more money, but they are well worth it once you shoot one a few times. The 629 stealth hunter is the best looking smith, IMO.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ordered the 629 in a 6-1/2" barrel. can't wait til they get here.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Another vote for a Ruger Super Redhawk 7 1/2 with scope as I have one. With Randy Garrett or Buffalo Bore Ammo you can take most anything within reason and plink with cheaper stuff.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
we are not taking advantage of our mother, thanks. She gave us a number and told us not to go over it or we would be paying the rest. we settled in at half of the number she gave us so I think we are "ok"

Thanks for all of the input on the revolvers. I am going with the Smith 629 calssic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts