The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The National Pipeline Mapping System (NPMS) is a geographic information system (GIS) created by the U.S. Department of Transportation, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), Office of Pipeline Safety (OPS) in cooperation with other federal and state governmental agencies and the pipeline industry. The NPMS consists of geospatial data, attribute data, public contact information, and metadata pertaining to the interstate and intrastate hazardous liquid trunklines and hazardous liquid low-stress lines as well as gas transmission pipelines, liquefied natural gas (LNG) plants, and hazardous liquid breakout tanks jurisdictional to PHMSA.

The NPMS does not contain information on interconnects, pump and compressor stations, valves, direction of flow, capacity, throughput, or operating pressure. In addition, distribution and gathering pipelines are not included in the NPMS.

https://www.npms.phmsa.dot.gov/

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I'm noticing the local gas company putting in more connections in our streets these days. Couple local streets were closed last week with gas work.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Since the 70's a whole lot of folks have been harping about our dependence on foreign oil and energy. That number grows with each trip to the gas station anymore.

Energy policy and plans are major issues in national elections. With the advent of local (state) energy policy, it will become a heated state issue down to the local level.

Yet, just in this state alone, we have an estimated 100 year supply of natural gas. That is from the Marcellus layer, there are others under that.

So, we will need pipe;lines of all types and sizes to get this gas to the end users. Like the wells themselves, the initial phase is ugly and disruptive. Yet after it is finished and covered. most people are unaware of their existence.

Energy independence has a cost. On the flip side of the coin, it has a pay off as Americans, we will be less prone to be drawn into foreign conflicts.

So, until the other, so far unproven, unavailable, and the logistical services to deliver them are devised... the alternative energy sector remains that - alternative. Really, we should call them proposed energy sources. As that is what they are.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
this glut of gas is causing prices to plummet to new lows.gas companies are looking for ways to export there gas overseas where they will get 3x the price.one way to do this is to pipe it to export facilities.this will cause supplies to tighten and prices to rise.be careful what you wish for.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Export will help in the short term. It will create jobs and help build the infrastructer for this country to use the Gas.

This country is still several years away from converting over to use all the gas we have, power plants, refueling stations for cars/trucks etc. If we can export gas now to help offset the oil imports,and build infrastructer, it's not all a bad thing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
buzz said:
Export will help in the short term. It will create jobs and help build the infrastructer for this country to use the Gas.

This country is still several years away from converting over to use all the gas we have, power plants, refueling stations for cars/trucks etc. If we can export gas now to help offset the oil imports,and build infrastructer, it's not all a bad thing.
Good point, slap a tariff on exported gas and earmark the earnings for tax incentives for people to convert their vehicles, businesses to install filling stations etc...if they are serious about the converstion this is what they would do. I'm not so sure they (energy companies) are serious about the conversion. But, I'm pretty sure they're serious about making a lot of money. Which is what they'll do once the export facilities are up and running. The other danger is the selling of the control of the gas rights/supply lines/facilities to foreign entities...ie...CHINA

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
The other danger is the selling of the control of the gas rights/supply lines/facilities to foreign entities...ie...CHINA
Some already have been done. Waugh!

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
Utilizing natural gas beyond current requirements, will take years. Homes and businesses can be converted to it from oil fairly quickly, but it takes years and many millions of dollers in investments, to build gas-fired generating facilities and distribution pipeline systems.

No matter what gas costs today, by the time a new gas-fired generating plant can be built, it may have tripled in cost by then?

Electricity demand keeps increasing, yet few new generation plants have been built and there are groups springing up in opposition to every new transmission line proposal.

NIMBY: It's not just for nuke plants these days. Everyone wants affordable electricity and gas heat. No one wants it to affect their perceptions of a quality life style where they live.

Gas exploration and drilling are just the tip of the energy iceberg. Without pipelines connecting the wells to end users, the gas is useless. Yet there are groups fighting the expansion at every turn. Either on the basis of environmental concerns, or in opposition to having compressor stations/pipelines near their homes.

Like road constructions signs, it's a matter of temporary inconvenience/permanent improvement, on the road to more energy independance. Whether some want to like it, or not?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Nat gas will be back at $7-$8 CF again this year, then we'll realize some serious $$ again. The mild winter and glut of gas has made the low price. That'll change. We love the pipelines, they provide better habitat management opportunities.

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
That's what I call pipeline ROWs through the woods: Nice, long "food plots".

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
You've got that right Denny! They're running one across our property now. Smart landowners have specific guidelines in their lease regarding lime, fertilizer, seed, etc. It really works in our favor and the midstream companies are more than willing to cooperate.

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
When it looked like I was getting a pipeline across my camp land a few years ago, the landman flapped his gums about me having a "shooting break" up through the part that traversed the woods.

Told him I already have enough of 'em around my various stands, but what I wanted up through the woods, was a nice open spot with attractive vegetation to benefit the critters. He was agreeable to the idea, but neither of two neighbors over the hill would let them cross their land, so it fell thru.

There are now some impressive "plots" on forest lands, including public land, that will eventually benefit all sorts of wildlife. One of the immediate upsides of disturbing the habitats.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Well said Denny. There are many benefits especially when most of the forested areas are old growth with little to no regeneration of beneficial species. NWSG and "food plots" will be a boon to all wildlife.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
but it takes years and many millions of dollers in investments, to build gas-fired generating facilities and distribution pipeline systems.
Denny, by 2015, they will be converting the coal fired plant in Shamokin Dam over to nat gas.

Three coal fired turbines will become 2 gas fired turbines.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts