The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about doing a solo 2 or 3 night canoe trip down Pine Creek.
I imagine I'd put in at Ansonia but not sure where I'd take out.....depends on camping areas, shuttle, etc.
I would appreciate any input on camping along the creek, primitive camping, no campgrounds please. Also any info on outfitters who run shuttles would be great.

Also feel free to post and pictures from the creek if you've paddled there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Planning to do my first weekend kayak trip in May with a large group in that same area, 38 miles of stream. I am going to send them your questions and see if any can help you out. Hopefully I will have info for you in a day or two

·
Registered
21,976 Posts
Not a bad trip....pretty scenic....primitive campground about 1/2 between Ansonia and Blackwell. Parking is limited at Blackwell but there is another takeout about a 1/2 mile downstream.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on water levels and would suggest 3 ft plus.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv?cb_...ite_no=01548500

A pretty fun experience but if your an adrenaline junkie not much for whitewater.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We always start at Ansonia the first day and paddled to Cedar Run- Peticote Junction campground. The second day Cedar Run to Waterville. Where my son used to live. The 3rd day Waterville to Jersey Shore on the Susquehanna river.
About 4 miles below Waterville is primitive camping. Just above where Camp Kline was. About the last launch on Pine Creek is the Torbet launch...nothing fancy.
As mentioned 3' of water is nice water and is good for coming through the canyon.
There used to be a couple shuttles but have since went out of business.
Could try this place for shuttle. They rent kayaks
http://www.bonnersports.com/

Also I know you said no campgrounds but that was our routine. It was a tent site-no electric....
Any questions ask away!! I can also give you approximate paddle times if you want an idea hour long a certain distance will take.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Tracker,

Pine creek is an excellent paddle. I've paddled from above Ansonia to black well several times. Camped, and day tripped it. Putting in at Marsh Creek & paddling to black well is about a 7 - 8 hour trip depending on water levels. I've determined the bare minimum to run this is 1.8' on the cedar run gauge. Below that you're dragging your boat in many locations. Last time I paddled pine I paddled my grumman solo @ 1.85. Aluminum boats are sticky when you smack a submerged rock, unlike a Royalex or PE boat. I was able to get down clean with out any issues. If you can read the water, you'll have no problem padding at 1.8'.

The max I paddled was ~5-6'. It was a ride & I paddled solo with my gear for an over night trip in my Mad River ME (White water boat). I'd caution anyone paddling it at this level, if you go for a swim, it will be a long cold swim & could have negative results.

I'd agree with doog - 3' is a nice level.

You need a permit to camp in the canyon (Free). Below Tiadaghton there are many primitive camping spots. It only takes a few hour to get to Tiadaghton, it seems to always be a party spot & I prefer to get through that area as quick as possible to get away from the boom boxes & beer...speaking of beer, I don't think I've ever paddled pine and not found a few cold ones in the water thanks to some poorly packed rafting patrons

Pine Creek outfitters will run your shuttle for about 20 bucks or something reasonable. You can also launch at their business.

Below Rattle snake rock is where I typically take out. This is a PA Fish & boat take out (as is marsh creek put in?), so you'll need a launch permit or take the risk of meeting the fishy police & ending up with a fine for not having one.

Enjoy your trip, it's well worth it.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info and help.

I've been checking links and looking at some paddling PA books I have. There is pretty much info out there on Ansonia to Blackwell.
I was hoping on making this a longer trip. I was thinking from Ansonia down to Torbert, that's roughly 53 miles.
Does anyone have any info on primitive camping once you pass Blackwell?
Is there State Forest land along the creek down there or just public campgrounds?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Duh! I have most SF maps for PA. I can just check them, if I can figure out where I have them....

·
Registered
16 Posts
The map link I posted on the other page shows primitive camping spots.

We come down through the canyon with 6.5' of water but wouldn't advise that at all!! Unless you got some decent whitewater experience. And not in a canoe.

·
Registered
177 Posts
doog said:
The map link I posted on the other page shows primitive camping spots.

We come down through the canyon with 6.5' of water but wouldn't advise that at all!! Unless you got some decent whitewater experience. And not in a canoe.
Lets not be hating on canoes. The key is experience, the right equipment and a white water boat, properly outfitted. The Old town guide canoes most outfitters rent could handle it with the right paddler in the boat. When I was up there a few years back the outfitters wouldn't rent canoes & were only putting on rafts, i found this out when i used Pine Creek outfitters as a shuttle.

Based on my experience, at 5' the only hazard were standing ways between Owassee & Tiadaghton. There were no challenges above Owassee where I put in & below Tiadaghton it's pretty much flat water with a few gradual bends.

I suspect that as the water rises, most of these waves will end up washing out & smooth over.

The scenery experience of Pine Creek is greatly diminished at a high level since it's more of a rocket ride than anything else. Not to mention high levels usual follow a hard snow melt or rain, making camping conditions less than optimal although there will likely be less people, that's always a plus!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My solo is a rebadged Blue Hole.....it is set up for bags but has minimal rocker. I like whitewater but was looking for a leisurely trip. I will probably go late May maybe?
I don't mind it it's boney, or lining down rocky low spots. In low water is it totally un-floatable or just low sections??

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found my maps! I have a State Forest map and also found maps put out by the fish & boat commission, Pine Creek north section and south section.

·
Registered
16 Posts
DustyRoads
Not hating on canoes....just feel that for every job there is a proper tool. My opinion is, for 6.5' of water the kayak is a better tool.
Owassee isn't as bad as it once was since the back wall blew out. Your right about some of the rapids flattening out with higher water.

Tracker the end of May should be find. Just have to watch Memorial Day weekend it can be pretty busy.
If you get a chance stop at the Slate Run Manor Hotel. Good food there!! You can paddle right up to it and park your canoe on shore.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Tracker, Your blue hole is a perfect boat for the trip. A buddy of mine paddles pine creek in April every year & paddles a Blue Hole sunburst, as does his son & occasionally, another lady who paddles the annual trip.

Doog - I don't want to get into a [censored] contest here, but there is no way any kayak is more suited for tripping over a canoe that is of a quality design. Trackers blue hole is a perfect example. I'd even take a coleman flat back (they have their place) over a yak for tripping.

Kayaks have very limited weight ranges & do not make attaching gear to the deck easy. They also are barely, if at all neutrally buoyant. So, what you have when you go swimming is boat that is loaded with gear strapped to it, filled with water and rolling under 4' of water on the bottom of the creek. That's not my opinion, that's a fact from many different experiences over the years.

You certainly can make a kayak work if you're well equipped with ultra light gear or a bare minimalist & have a properly outfitted kayak, not a rec boat bought from walmart. There is no question, a properly outfitted canoe is better suited for tripping.

That said Doog, what you really need if you're padding a kayak is a nice guy like myself that will paddle an open boat and carry your beer & gear;) then you can paddle what ever you want...heck an inner-tube will do the trick.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A Prijon Yukon Expedition is what I have for a kayak. It does what I need it to.
I do have a beat Wenonah canoe that's been patched. That I use on the river sometimes.
My previous Prijon went down the Colorado in some pretty high volume water.
Edit: in 2010

Use whatever you are comfortable with. Enjoy the water

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I own and have tripped out of both canoes and kayaks.
With that said, I love paddling both but feel a canoe is better for tripping.

Packing a kayak for extended trips can be challenging!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts