The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of pin oaks growing on a property that I hunt. I notice that the Acorns that they drop aren't that big. Now my question is, are these acorns consumed by deer and if so, how much are they preferred? They have other options come fall, by way of apples, crabapples, persimmons and a big white oak that they hammer when it starts to drop. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have any ideas???

·
Registered
777 Posts
Where I work They have some on the property I know they are a smaller acorn.And when they produce they seem to produce alot.I have seen deer eating them there but its not a likely spot for deer to be.(these are next to a factory not to far from town) as far as preference not sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are the acorns you are talking about dropping now? If so the tree is aborting bad acorns. Pin oak is not a preferred species, red oak group, but turkeys like them because they are smaller just like black oak acorns.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Pin Oak

If they really are Pin Oaks, in my observations deer LOVE them, I hunt a stand of them and when their dropping get ready, that area will have deer in it all day. Ive watched a flock of black birds come in feeding on the acorns in the trees and have it rain acorns and then the deer are there within 5 mintues, its like ringing the dinner bell.

·
Registered
777 Posts
No they are not dropping now but will liter the parking lot come this fall.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tree I'm talking about isn't dropping now either.....I was just looking at it the other day and it got me thinking. Buckshot, thanks for the link.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts