The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy tried telling me today that up until 2 years ago you weren't allowed to have a light in your bow sight in PA. Any truth to this?

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I am pretty sure they are legal. My HHA single .010 pin is so bright a light is not necessary.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have always used one as well. We both agreed they are legal now, the contested point was whether they were ever illegal. I contend that at least for the last decade they've been allowed.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Pa.Bone said:
I am pretty sure they are legal. My HHA single .010 pin is so bright a light is not necessary.
yep. my pin is plenty bright long after i should be shooting at game.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Pa.Bone said:
They are 100% legal, it's in the manual. When they became legal I do not know though. I know in 2012 there legal because I stumbled across a post on this site in 2012 where someone copied and pasted the regs about sight lights showing they were legal.

From the manual:

"Lighted pins on
bow sights and scopes with lighted reticles may be used as long as
they don’t cast a beam. Any device used as a sight or scope on any
firearm, bow or crossbow that projects a light beam of any kind onto
the target is unlawful. "

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
yellodog said:
newbie, huh?
Actually, yep--didn't start bow hunting until I was well past 40! I tell my wife I need to hunt 5 days a week to make up for lost time in the woods.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Sight lights have been legal for a long time. Stabilizer lights are a completely different story. I wouldn't want to get caught toting one of those bad boys around.

·
Super Moderator
12,615 Posts
You can not cast rays of light on deer and shoot them with your bow, but you can light your pins legally. However, I don't know why they are needed. I can see my HHS pin well long after I can no longer see the target in the back ground. Also I would think if you brighten up the foreground sight area it would lessen ones ability to see the target much like shinning a flash light in the air when trying to see an object out in front of you on the other side of the beam.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I agree. Most pins on quality sights these days are still able to be seen long after you are no longer able to visualize the target thought the sight housing and peep. Some can actually be too bright in my opinion. I had a nice buck under me two years ago. Came in on me when it was still dark and was browsing some golden rod beneath me until it started getting a little light out and i could see he was a shooter buck. I managed to get my bow to full draw and could see the pins fine but was unable to see the buck through the sight housing. The deer was literally 8 yards away. I decided to let the string down instead of taking a risky shot and spooked him. i ended up getting a nice buck in rifle season that year.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
i have used mine but i also shoot a .010 pin and have noticed that they dont seem as bright at dark, but when i do use the light its on the lowest sitting

1 - 15 of 15 Posts