The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other thread got me curious on how everyone sets their pins . Before we go any further I completely understand we all have different setups for different reasons and I would never imply one is better than the other. I have also come to the realization over the last few months that there is a wide variety of options when it comes to arrow builds , broadheads and draw weight. Guess I was kind of naive in thinking that everyone for the most part viewed things relatively the same for the exception of the fixed versus mechanical debate.
Anyhow regarding how my pins are set for a hunting situation is that my first pin covers anything inside 32 yards . My second pin is good out to 41 yards . My third pin is irrelevant when it comes to a hunting situation because I will never use it .
So the reason why I like this setup is because it helps eliminate a miscalculation of yardage if I happen to misjudge a distance by a few yards . It’s just nice to know I don’t have to worry about selecting the proper pin out to 30 yards . Also even if I want to take one of those rare shots over 30 if I use my second pin on a deer that I assume is 35 yards I should still hit where I am aiming if it’s actually at 38 yards. ( I understand the further they get the more of a chance a deer can move before the arrow arrives) I also am not a single pin guy . I just don’t like the idea of being in a situation where things are happening fast and having to make that adjustment.
So how do you guys have your pins setup and why ? Just very interested in what everyone else is doing because I am becoming more and more aware that there are a lot of different ideas and philosophies out there and definitely a lot of hunters that do things very differently than me in a number of different ways. Not just in regards to bow setups either.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I really love the idea of 1 pin out to 30, but I’m one of those guys who sights in a solid 2” low for my 20 yard pin, that would put me way low at 30. I even go 1-2” low for my 30 and 40 pins. I’ve always trended high with hits even when I hunted with the recurve.

You can never really hit em’ too low. Shoot under a deer and 99% of the time you know without a doubt it was a clean miss. Miss the vitals high and you’ve got 6” (or more closer to the shoulder) of non vital muscle and bone which adds many layers of doubt to the scenario for me.

I get it that it sounds nuts to sight in lower than your intended poi, but that’s what works for me in a hunting scenario.

·
Registered
497 Posts
5 pins. 30,40,50,60, and 70.

Nearly all PA shots are covered by top pin, though I would not hesitate to take a 40yard shot if the conditions were right. I passed a slammer at 45 that was walking slow last year though open woods. Just didn’t feel right. I practice out to 70 and sometimes a bit further; makes 30y shots feel like gimmees.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
When I shot a three pin sight it was 20, 30, 40. Iv'e been shooting a single pin for about 10 years now, and I leave it set at 27, I'm good to 32 without thinking or moving anything. Most deer iv'e shot with it have been pretty close and when I see one that's going to be, I just slide it down to 20. Iv'e only shot a couple over 30 and iv'e had the time and the presence of mind to slide it to the exact distance with good results.

·
Registered
Mathews Vertix, Easton FMJ 4mm, Rage Hypo 125
390 Posts
I have a 5 pin sight but only have 4 of them that are actually sighted in, bottom pin is as low as it will go to get out of way. Pin distances are 20, 30, 40, and 50. I plan on changing the pins to be more like yours, 1 pin is good for x amount of yards so they aren’t crowded as much, and will save the bottom pins for long range practice. I’ve also thought about buying a single pin movable sight but that probably won’t be till next year. My pins go from biggest to smaller as they go down so I might move them and make it a 3 pin to get the smallest possible pins.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
...I use Copper John Dead Nuts Mark IVs APG....simple single pin adjustable....I tree stand practice shoot from 5' to 60 yards
..I have the marks at 25/35/45/55...

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I upgraded to an IQ bowsite and if you would have told me it could improve some of my shooting just by installing a sight, I would have been skeptical. However it is pretty nice and dead on, when your torking (we have all ben there) or your form is a little off especially in the heat of the moment, the feedback on it is awesome. I have it set up for 25, 35 and 45, 50 and use the bottom pin very little. My bow is tuned and ready to go. Saturday morning can not get here soon enough...

·
Registered
99% archer 1% suppressed rifle.
121 Posts
I am shooting a new bow this year. I am still figuring out exactly what my pins will do in between yardages. However I am shooting a 5 pin react sight. It is set in for 20,30,40,50,60 yards. I was shooting today at 35 yards using my 30 yard pin and I was hitting perfect without elevation compensation. That is strange to me my old bow was dead on at 30 and 5 inches low at 35.

I think next year I’m going to a Garmin sight that is a range finder and automatically adjusts the pin for you. Takes all the guess work out of it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm shooting a new bow this year as well an still figuring out what I can get away with at what range yet. I'm still using a 5 pin though, set at 30 40 50 60 80 I've always had my first pin set at 15 because of alot of close shots out of a tree stand but with my new bow I'm maxed out on adjustment to slide the sight bracket an top pin is slid all the way up. I'm actually about 3 inches high at 15 yards out of a 20ft stand so it's just something I'll have to remember if I get a shot that close out of the stand.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am shooting a sword 2 pin site. Top pin comes in from right, bottom pin is vertical. The whole housing slides but is calibrated on the bottom pin out to 100. I can shoot my top pin dead on to 26-27. My bottom pin is zerod at 30 and I feel comfortable with it to 35. The chance of me shooting passed 35 in the woods is very small.

I like being able to stretch it out for practice and feel comfortable taking a long shot in the event a follow up is ever needed etc or at a coyote or something.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I'm shooting a new bow this year as well an still figuring out what I can get away with at what range yet. I'm still using a 5 pin though, set at 30 40 50 60 80 I've always had my first pin set at 15 because of alot of close shots out of a tree stand but with my new bow I'm maxed out on adjustment to slide the sight bracket an top pin is slid all the way up. I'm actually about 3 inches high at 15 yards out of a 20ft stand so it's just something I'll have to remember if I get a shot that close out of the stand.
Something isn't set up or adjusted correctly if you can't move your housing/pin to correct your yardage. I've never been anywhere near maxed out on any bow I've ever shot to where I couldn't adjust my sights higher.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've always been close to the top of my pin guard on all my Mathews bows but had a 1/4 inch or so to play with. On my Hoyt rx-5 ultra with the new front mount apex sight I believe I lost that 1/4 inch because of the distance it sits from the bows riser combined with the smaller housing compared to my previous spot Hogg sights. I assure you there's nothing set up wrong or out of adjustment on the bow itself. I've set up bows for close to 20 years 5 years in a pro shop an the rest in house for friends an family. Keep in mind I'm 6'4 with a 32 in draw, comparing my set up to a 29 inch draw is apples to oranges.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I upgraded to an IQ bowsite and if you would have told me it could improve some of my shooting just by installing a sight, I would have been skeptical. However it is pretty nice and dead on, when your torking (we have all ben there) or your form is a little off especially in the heat of the moment, the feedback on it is awesome. I have it set up for 25, 35 and 45, 50 and use the bottom pin very little. My bow is tuned and ready to go. Saturday morning can not get here soon enough...
Haven’t used a peep in years because of sights like the IQ sight. I have mine 20 30 40 50 55 but only shoot deer under 30. Most deer are under 7 yards including two rutting bucks. Never understood the single pin adjustable for hunting. I’m sure it’s fine for some guys but to me it’s one more thing I might screw up.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Goose, that’s how I look at multiple pins, just one more thing I can screw up. Also today’s bows shoot 0-30 with no adjustment. Especially in pa where you’re shooting at close ranges. With that said I’ve been out west numerous times with my single pin with no problems.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts