The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any thoughts on why there would be a PILE of porcupine quills/fur laying in the woods???

the pile was large...i'd say atleast several handfuls...maybe a volley ball sized pile..

nothing else to be found...no blood..no carcass..nothing...i didnt search HARD but i did look a bit...

my thinking is maybe a fisher kill?? but whered the carcass go?

any thoughts?? with fisher season coming, it peaked my interest...especially knowing fisher and humans are about the only thing that'll typically kill a porky..

·
Registered
208 Posts
That is my first thought... a fisher. There aren't too many animals out there that will mess with a porcupine. And if they do, they won't a second time. Except for my German shorthair...I suppose his first encounter and 180 quills in him wasn't enough...he needed a second taste a few months later.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Bobcats will kill a porky just the same as fishers do. They slap them in the face until they die.
I found a pile of fresh coyote scat the other day with nothing but porcupine hair and quills in it. That had to hurt.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I never found quills in a pile.
Could have been a fisher. It may have took the carcass with him to hide it form the kill area. A cat may have done the same. Interesting.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx guys! I know cats will hide kills...but didnt know if theyd mess with a porky....i couldnt imagine a yote that has to kill with its mouth....

Hope i can find the area again and investigate and maybe set it in a couple weeks!

The porky, if alive, has to he cold coz he gotta be dang near naked! Lol.

Ive never found anything like that..the pile was large...

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Just my 02 cents here, but over the years when I have
shot porcupines and went back a couple of days later, nothing
but a pile of quills and bones laying there. I think they
rot up pretty fast.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A hunter shooting one and leaving it lay is another possibility....but typically there is always a carcass...or pieces...this was just a mess of quills and fur...no telling really...was a big hollow im sure holds cats and fisher...and was on the transition.of the hemlock bottom, hardwood flat, rhododendron river bank...good cat and fisher territory

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I take a few every year in traps and just throw them aside. A bird of prey would pick the quills just as they do feathers off a bird.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i've seen a fresh cat killed porky where the cat went right through the side no messing around. i the same area i found "quill balls" a cat coughed up just like a hair ball.
also found where birds have picked everything out of a hide almost like it was skinned. could have been about anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts