The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading out this evening to a small creek where I've seen some pike. I had one on several years ago, but never landed one. I've seen them between 12 and 30 inches. Hoping to land a big one on the fly this evening. Will follow up later.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No pike caught tonight. I did catch a nice smallmouth and the weather was perfect so a good outing anyway. I fished a number of articulated streamers, clousers, poppers, wooly buggers, with no luck on the pike. I did see another guy out that gave me a tip on another location to check for pike so hopefully this summer I'll connect on one.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Set up

Heading out this evening to a small creek where I've seen some pike. I had one on several years ago, but never landed one. I've seen them between 12 and 30 inches. Hoping to land a big one on the fly this evening. Will follow up later.
What’s your set up rod weight etc. just wondering

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use whatever Cabela's Rod/Reel combo name was from a few years back. 9.5 feet i think. 8 weight floating line, a 9 foot chunk of 8 lb test for a leader, and a wire leader on top of that. I run the same thing when fishing for large bass minus the wire leader. 8 weight is about right for monster bass for me, and it does not overpower the fish. If I know I am going to catch mostly modest sized fish I usually use a 6 wt.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Keep at it and good luck. Very interested to hear about your success! Good luck!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts