The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's it like hunting in pike co.? i've been thinking about hunting around pecks pond area or ricketts glen? i'd like to try someplace other than my local area. maybe eventually buy a camp .

how bad is the hunting pressure in that county ? hows the grouse and deer hunting also ? any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
522 Posts
The past few years the pressure really hasn't been all that bad where I hunt for deer. This last season was my worst for deer hunting where during rifle i only saw 3 small spikes in the woods. I've seen plenty of good looking bucks mostly standing in people's front yards during deer season. The grouse and woodcock hunting is decent but then again those pesky grouse go through their ten year cycle so some years you're tripping over them others you're burning boot leather for maybe one or two flushes. Turkey hunting I find that I see a whole mess of them out of season and then they move somewhere else during season. And you can bet the mortgage on June 1 you'll be tripping over hens and poults. Lot of public land to hunt there so google map scouting helps a lot. Pecks pond is right on a whole mess of Delaware State Forest which round about where I do most of my hunting. Ricketts glen don't know much about.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
MQ-1 said:
Pike = Ticks = Tick spray ...lol
I'm in Monroe and the areas of SFL I hunt are along the eastern edge of Monroe and the western edge of Pike. The turkey are there but finding one not henned up takes work.

I usualy find roosted birds as I bend over to dip my bucket in the camp spring that really helps the blood pressure!

I also have gotten shock gobble from the outhouse door slamming!

One long day schlepping around for close to 8 miles w/ no gobbles I come back to camp and find a wing feather layng on the path between the privy and the camp!

I could have spent the day on the porch instead of walking so far!

Oh yeah. the nite before the season opens and a flock walks up the driveway including to fat toms dragging beards...

There is turkey up here! I bought a dog from a breeder in the Dingmans Ferry area and after admiring her man's mounts, including the black bear climbing a white birch tree, she took me to his man cave to see his 28# mount he shot the year b/4...a NICE turkey shot in Pike...

·
Registered
424 Posts
had them gobbling all last year on state land. probably hit them early unless you can get them on a path or trail. Early in the season was good could see them coming but after the 2nd week it greened up fast. Taking my nephew for the youth opener in pike more than likely. He took a 6 pointer with his 243 so im hoping the 20 ga with some low recoil loads will be not much different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts