The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching the camp that RB put on his place...we decided to go the "shabin" route as well. We started with a custom built (we picked the shed style, window and door placement, roofing material, and colors) 12' x 40' shed....and then started the interior work.

Shed was put in place in early September in 2013...the driver has some pretty crazy skills with that truck

First we insulated the walls...it worked out well as the shed was built with 16" center studs.

Then the ceiling - it was on 24" centers...

We ended up having to re-do the ceiling insulation as we had massive sweating issues with the tin roof during rifle season. We added soffit ventilation holes, styrofoam spacers between the insulation and the roof, and changed out the ridge cap foam with a more breathable foam. Lesson learned the hard way...

Next we divided the back section of the cabin, about 10ft, to make a bathroom on the right and a bedroom on the left. The shed style we selected allowed us enough room to have a small loft above these two rooms. Loft over the bathroom is higher due to the man doors on both ends of the room.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next we framed out the front of the bathroom and installed the entry door. After the ceiling insulation re-work, we added some plywood for the ceiling covering. For the walls, we got a steal of a deal on some 1x6 rough cut oak.

The view from the window with the leaves on the trees...

Winter time sunrise...

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We still have a ton of work to do, but the ol' shed has come a long way in the 6 months we have had it in place.

Plans include adding a porch on the main entrance end, finishing the ceiling, laying some carpet, installing a wood stove, and building a wood shed structure.

Some other random pictures...

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Great pictures, I remember seeing the picture of you grilling inside, then you said it was electric grill, no carbon monoxide......Nice place.......we love camp photos on HPA.....

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. It's been a pretty cool experience thus far, and we are looking forward to some good family time as the weather warms up. I will get some more pics as we continue to make progress.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LCL - thanks for the help on the sink! We were up over the weekend and the snow was gone from all but a few spots. Now it's the mud we have to deal with, but I will take that over the snow. What are you guys working on next?

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
AWESOME!!!! man you guys have done a ton already.

Aren't those cabin delivery guys incredible?? Ours was amazing too.

The fact that the post i did on here about my place inspired you guys is one of the coolest things about this thing we call HPA.

BEST OF LUCK and Wishes on many great moments and sunrises!!!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts