The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends and I were hunting dove the other day and we had a small flock (5 or 6) of pigeons fly over. We started talking and none of us really knew the right answer. Are they legal to hunt in Pa? I mean we all know of pigeon shoots etc but while hunting dove can you take a pigeon if it flies over?

Do you eat them?

I did a search through the hunting booklet and I could not find any mention of Pigeon.

Thanks
Anthony

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Pigeons are not game birds, there are no seasons or bag limits on them, they are considered feral, most farmers would appreciate tem being shot. The only law on the books regarding pigeons is a law that says you may not shoot homing pigeons. How one could tell if a bird was a homer while flying eludes me. As far as eating them, I have no problem eating barn pigeons, especially the squabs, the old birds are tough but can be used for pot pie. I would not eat pigeons that came from a city.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Some folks dose their training pigeons with antibiotics, etc.....some of those meds may not be best for human consumption.
Which pigeon would be the sticker...but, corn-fed squab would be swell.
Small point and fwiw.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
When I was a child, my dad and uncle used to catch pigeons in barns and silos to sell to the pigeon shoots around the area. We always took the squabs from the nests and put them in a pen and feed them corn for a while then butcher them and eat them. They were very good.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John S said:
Pigeons are not game birds, there are no seasons or bag limits on them, they are considered feral, most farmers would appreciate tem being shot. The only law on the books regarding pigeons is a law that says you may not shoot homing pigeons. How one could tell if a bird was a homer while flying eludes me. As far as eating them, I have no problem eating barn pigeons, especially the squabs, the old birds are tough but can be used for pot pie. I would not eat pigeons that came from a city.
Thanks,

We were at a game lands. I doubt they are city birds but who knows.

So non game birds are allowed to be hunted anytime? Are all non game birds open to hunting? Do the normal rules apply? No Sunday hunting etc?

I just want to make sure I have the correct information.

Thanks
Anthony

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No, most none game birds with the exception of starlings and English sparrows are protected birds, pigeons are feral, meaning a domestic gone wild and have no designation or protection. However, even starlings and English sparrows are clasified as unprotected birds under the game law.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
soup1279 said:
John S said:
Thanks,

So non game birds are allowed to be hunted anytime? Are all non game birds open to hunting? Do the normal rules apply? No Sunday hunting etc?

Thanks
Anthony
Just because some birds are not listed as game birds does not mean they are open to unrestricted hunting. Most song birds are not game birds but are federally protected I believe. (If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll hear about it) Any "invasive type bird such as the European Starling are free for the taking any time.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. It is greatly appreciated. I want to be sure I know what I am talking about the next time we all get together.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I always thought that pigeons were a type of dove. A rock dove I have heard them called. So not sure if the season is for mourning dove only or all species. May have to read up on it.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They are European rock doves, they are not native to north America, they were brought here by immigrants a long time ago and released. They are feral and have no protection under the Game Code. They have nothing to do whatsoever with Mourning doves or the season. Good grief.

·
Registered
124 Posts
John S,
Like I said, I thought they were rock doves. I never said they had anything to do with a mourning dove. I said I wasnt sure if the season covered all species or not. You sound as if everybody should know this. Maybe this forum shouldnt exist and there should only be a Q and A directed to your personal email. This is the reason I rarely waste my time on these sort of things. Your so well informed you can probably figure out what to do with your condescending "good grief" comment. I apologize for my participation.
Regards

·
Registered
379 Posts
BlackStump said:
John S,
Like I said, I thought they were rock doves. I never said they had anything to do with a mourning dove. I said I wasnt sure if the season covered all species or not. You sound as if everybody should know this. Maybe this forum shouldnt exist and there should only be a Q and A directed to your personal email. This is the reason I rarely waste my time on these sort of things. Your so well informed you can probably figure out what to do with your condescending "good grief" comment. I apologize for my participation.
Regards

·
Registered
144 Posts
TagOutInArchery said:
BlackStump said:
John S,
Regards

X2!

·
Registered
60 Posts
bigogre said:
TagOutInArchery said:
BlackStump said:
John S,
Regards
x3!

X2!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts