The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am from england do any of you guys shoot pigeon .if so do you ever shoot over decoys for them ?

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Last time I shot pigeons was in a farmers barnyard. They are considered vermin here. No closed season and no never used decoys just pass shooting.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
There are pigeon shoots in this state but they draw a pretty dedicated group of protesters who do not like the idea of shooting trapped birds. We recently had an instance where a protester used a small UAV to spy on a place where shoots take place. The UAV became a fatality. Every farm where I shoot groundhogs has pigeons and every farmer has given me permission to shoot them. From time to time I pop them if they are on the ground and the groundbogs are sacarce. I know they make a mess but I enjoy watching them fly in their whacky formations.

·
Banned
994 Posts
We have a dove season here that starts Sept 1. Pigeons often frequent the same areas as the dove and many hunters will shoot a few pigeon to add to their game bag.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Welcome, Gamekeeper,yes there are some here that shoot over decoys. I know that in the UK. you gun Wood Pigeons. In the colonys we gun barn pigons.Come over & we can have ago at it .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes woodpigeon are plentyfull in the uk , my best day was 127 on oilseed rape stuble a few years ago

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Do you sell them at the market? I understand they are hunted a lot around pea fields. I used to hunt with a British gun maker as did many scalps who would hunt pigeons when he want back to the UK.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
never at market just to friends or for the freezer , ye pea fields and bean fields attract them in the hundreds

1 - 8 of 8 Posts