The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is going down south this year on a pig/hog hunt and asked me to load some .270's for him. He told me to pick any bullet and load up a batch for him to sight in and take along. He usually just hunts deer with Remington core-locks.

My question, after looking through the Cabaelas shooting catalog - not sure of what bullet to use. Thinking Nosler partition, Accubond, Hornady GMX, Swift A-Frames or Scirocco, Barnes triple Shocks... Must be either 140 or 150 grains...

What would you guys load up and use... Good/Bad?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Usually whatever bullet you use for deer works well on hogs too. Unless he knows his chances are great on a 300+lb hog CoreLockts should be fine(and probably even then too). I personally like the Hornady Interlock SP bullets.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I've killed a couple dozen of them, including 2 300lb+ using core lokts, 130 grain. I have never had a problem.

I killed this 280lber in Oklahoma back in February. Hit him with a 130 grain Winchester Silver Tip. The shot was good, but the penetration was not what I would have expected. He didn't go far, but with these critters, a wounded hog can make for a very long day

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Coreloks are good hog bullets, partitions are terrible. Yep, I'd get 150 gr.

I've killed lots of hogs, 308, 375 handgun, 44 magnum, etc. They are VERY difficult to kill if you are shooting for the heart/lungs. You must miss the shoulder and angle up into the heart. I've never butchered a southern hog with out finding other bullets in it 22 rf, 6mm, and even a 30 cal. They seem to absorb ammo, and keep going. Since hogs will run to the thickes stuff when hit, dropping them is key. I've looked for/tracked wounded hogs in S. Carolina , Florida and Georga swamps at night....not fun.

last year I killed two. One with a 12 ga slug, the bullet was inthe off side under the hide, completely mushroomed, shoulder shot in thick creek bottom, it ran 50 yards, and was still mean when I got to it. the second was with a 22-250..it never moved. Why...head shot. I've changed completely my hog shooting. I now only take head shots. It is a waiting game to get the ear/eye profile but it works great and doesn't damage meat/hams.

Most southern guided hunts are over bait in the early morning or late evening. So a good scope is a help.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
On the moose hunting forums I talk on the .270 guys have great luck with the 150 grain round nose Core-Lokt. And if it does well on Moose it will do the job on hogs.

(please don't tell Big Ken that I admitted the .270 can be a good choice for moose, thanks in advance)

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I shot two hogs in South Carolina this past May. One using a 165gr NBT in a 30/06. It was a smaller hog and dropped in it's tracks. The second, a much larger hog, was shot with a 200gr Speer Hot Core out of a 338 Federal. I never heard a bullet impact like the one on this shot. It was hit in the vitals, quartering away, but ran a good hundred yards before falling over. Luckly, this hog was shot in a field and not in the swamp or I would probably not have found it. The 200gr bullet never exited. Two guys we hunted with that week shot and killed nice size hogs with Core Lokts without any issues. My cousin shot one in the eye with a Swift Scirocco out of a 7mm mag (with that shot, it didn't really matter what bullet he used). When they took our pictures that night with our hogs, all were facing the camera except his.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Took this guy through the shoulder with a .257 TSX100. I think most any deer/bear type 270 would be fine. A 140 accubond would be an excellent choice.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you plan on going for a big boar and shooting it in the chest you'll want a well constructed premium bullet to get through the cartilage plate. If you are shooting small meat hogs or using head shots, any hunting bullet will do.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you ever looked at the hard cartilage shield over a boars shoulder you will want a heavy bullet because that thing will slow down a light one.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Guess it didn't slow down my 100 enough.

Construction is what matters.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Beck trt .....I've bred these American Bulldogs since 1996. Never hunted with them but I had a female that luved wild turkeys. She'd bring me one every few weeks or so.

As far as the bullet I have a friend in GA that started me on 140 gr Ballistic tips. He says they drop quick. I have been using them ever since.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I had a good pit bull tracking dog one night in a georga swanp. Actually, it was the night O. J. was driving about in the white bronco...I never got to see that chase live.

Dog was good, trained on boar blood. he found our dead hog, and then chase a 400+# boar around a corn field...until the owner called it off as the hog and dog were knocking down more corn than a pig would eat. Great dogs. this one had a dead/rotting coon head hanging on its collar to discourage chasing racoons??? stunk

·
Registered
513 Posts
Best dog I ever owned was a pit bull! Red nose red devil/ bolio lined dog. He just passed at the age of 15 Fully guard worked and had some police training. Never out in the woods or played with any boar. BUT if he did he would have been the best at it. R.I.P Storm!

The old southern "White" dogs are awesome! They are that darn good at their job. I have a friend who breeds them in NJ and he hunts hogs with them down south. I have only seen his videos and are intense.

All he uses after a dog bays a hog is a bowie knife. No meat damage!!....:)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
only hunter/tracker/killer I had was a GSP that had a ear an half missing, and enough nose throat scars to scare anyone.
Generally a mean dog who loved a fight. His pastine was solo hunting groundhogs. he woould spend an hour or more stalkming a hog, to get between it and its hole. then slowly rise. the hair on its back would rise also, but with a smile on its face. as the hog sought cover in the hole the GSP would stand extra tall an take the charge full on, then grab for the hogs neck. lots of blood later the hog was usually dead and being tossed into the air. Never went to a vet, just sewed him up with sewing thresd.
a mean wicked fighter to his last day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts