The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve seen this deer a half dozen times. First time was on the second Saturday of the 2019 rifle deer season. He was a 5 point then. I saw him late last winter and several times in spring gobbler season. Saw him again this afternoon. This was a trail cam pic from a week ago. He’s got 8 points this year.

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
neat picture and neat to see . Use to have one around camp several years ago, but it disappeared .A neighbor saw it as well but never saw it again either or never heard of anyone locally getting him.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
We have a real nice one in Montgomery County, around Audubon. Near Valley Forge, for anyone not from SEPA. He's about a 105" 8-pointer. Big body and more white than brown. A few brown spots.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
We had twin piebald bucks here one year, one was a spike and the other had forks. I saw the forkie in archery once and never saw or heard of him again. The spike was killed out of my treestand by my buddie's 12 year old daughter on Friday of the opening week, her first buck. I was lucky enough to have been the one to take her hunting that morning. The tanned hide was the table cloth covering under all her high school awards at her graduation party. I did a small skull mount for her and it was there too.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Had a buck almost identical to the OP picture as far as coloring goes. Had him on camera as a button buck, then a 3 point, then a 100" 8 point. As a 2.5 yo 8 point I passed him a bunch of times. It was like I had a magnet for him. Neighbor shot him the first day of rifle and I was very disappointed, but what can ya do?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Dr. James Kroll on North American Whitetail said piebald is because of inbreeding. Should be taken out of the herd.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Dr. James Kroll on North American Whitetail said piebald is because of inbreeding. Should be taken out of the herd.
Inbreeding, or some call it linebreeding, is done in domestic animals, and can improve live stock and poultry and dogs. Done right you cull the negative traits and breed for good traits, done incorrectly the bad traits can increased. That decent looking eight point, may be doing all right gene wise. When they breed in the wild, we can only hope that the good traits dominate, by mother natures culling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts