The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets see some hunting pictures from the 60's and 70's. I love to see the pictures from my growing days when I eagerly awaited Dad coming home from deer hunting. I also looked forward to joining him when I turned 12. This picture is dedicated to the memory of my hunting mentor and Dad. It is his first deer, it was taken in Lancaster off of Seglock road, I think it was 1966.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Sorry for your loss, I too lost my father two years ago this January. What i wouldn't give to hear one more golf or hunting story. Great picture thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I’m the un-official keeper of photographs for our camp. Of the hundreds that I have from over the years, this is one of my favorites. It was taken November 30, 1966. For me, it has a combination of some game taken, a bit of humor (the cook holding the rubber chicken), and a flood of other memories of the guys in the picture.

Of the eleven fellows in the pic, six of them are gone, and two of them (along with my Dad who snapped the pic) have dropped out of the camp due to age. Only three of us in the picture still remain as members.

BTW…….I’m the good looking chap in the center – next to the chicken.

·
Premium Member
24,033 Posts
383 LB Sullivan County SGL 134 Bear my Dad killed on November 24, 1963 the Monday after JFK was assassinated. His woodworking factory shut down in observance & Dad decided to go bear hunting. Dad died at a young age of 52 in 1987 from pancreatic cancer.

I was only 12 years old by a month or 2 then so per my Dad's standards was way too young to venture out on this hunt which looking back...I totally agree!! In fact per Dad..I wasn't ready for deer camp till age 13-14. He got me into squirrel & rabbits first a year or 2. Oh how things have changed...I guess for the better as kidos seem to be maturing so much faster these days...I think or should I say.. I hope.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Here is one of my father from I believe 1960, I can remember riding in the old Willys when I was young, not sure what year that Willys is.

It is a picture of a picture so not so good......but one of my favorites!

·
Registered
263 Posts
outdrnut said:
Here is one of my father from I believe 1960, I can remember riding in the old Willys when I was young, not sure what year that Willys is.

It is a picture of a picture so not so good......but one of my favorites!
Looks like he has a model 99......probably a .300 Savage?

·
Registered
95 Posts
No more pics of full meat poles - some people here are not going to believe that they had 8 point bucks before QDM.

PS - I still have my full Potter County Tuxedo - red and black, coat and pants.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts

Here are a couple -- the first is 1958:

Then, one is from 1973:

In spring 2013, that will be 40 years ago. I'm going to try to take a gobbler this year with that same double barrel.

I have a couple more old-timey pictures, but they're not scanned.

Steve.

·
Registered
263 Posts
RonM said:
The days of Red and Black plaid,, I still have my jacket.....
I also have my coat – and still wear it. It was used when I got it many many years ago from my Grandpa. It’s at least 60 years old. Next to the aroma of Hoppe’s #9, nothing beats the smell of wet Woolrich.

I also wear the same hat that I’ve had since the late 1960’s. When the FO law came about, rather than give up “the hat”, I stapled FO surveyor’s strips to it in order to be in compliance.

So, which is it? Am I a die-hard sentimental traditionalist or just a cheapskate? I like to think it’s the former.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I'd like to share three pics with a lot of meaning. One is quite a bit earlier than your timeframe, and one is a little newer. The first is my Grandad with his first deer, circa 1941, Savage Model 99 30-30.

Next is my first deer taken 1989, first day of buck. Grandad sits beside me, my deer taken with same rifle.

Last, is my son Marshall. First day of deer season this year. His first buck, the same rifle....Sadly Grandad has been gone for three years now, but I know he was with us in spirit and smiling.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts