The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last 4-5 years I've helped guide the wheeling sportsman hunt at Bombay hook. It’s a great event where handicap hunters get a catered breakfast and lunch and a guided hunt on the refuge.

There were a decent amount of birds on the refuge but nothing like it should be. The Audubon society brought a lawsuit against the refuge a few years ago for using GE crops so now they have no corn, beans or wheat planted. There are plenty of fields and roosts around the refuge so I don’t think as many use the refuge and the ones that do go elsewhere to feed which makes hunting even tougher than refuge hunting already is.

Helping out on one of these events really makes you think about the things we take for granted. I think 10 guys showed up for the event. Wayne, Sean and I took 2 of the guys to the same blind rather that hunt blinds that were close to each other and compete for the birds.

For the conditions, we made out pretty well. We got 2 flocks in to the decoys in the morning but no birds harvested. The guys were beating themselves up for missing during lunch. We told them not to worry about it, hopefully they'll have another chance in the afternoon.

The afternoon flight was better than the morning but most knew exactly where they were going outside the refuge. We finally got Mark a chance and he connected. It wasn’t long after that Scott got a chance and connected. The smiles on their face and the excitement made for the perfect ending to a great day hunting.

I look forward to doing it next year. Check out the Wheeling Sportsman website and volunteer to help out or host an event. It's a great time and a way to get guys out waterfowl hunting that may not be able to get out otherwise.

New GHG Pro-grades in action

This guy though he was getting an easy meal

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
That is Fantastic. Thanks and good work.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This event is really special. I look forward to it every year. I can't thank all the guides and the staff at Bombay Hook enough. This year my guide was Heath Mason and I can tell you we had a blast and even managed to get a goose. What a super day!!!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Nice pics guys and sounds like great program. Thanks. Interesting to hear bout the changing habitat management. Bio diversity the reason I assume so did u get to decoy any plovers in the rig?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts