The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back from Wyoming last week, hunted Oct 7-11, northeastern Wyoming with SNS Outfitters. Hunt was 5 days, my friend and i were both done by 4pm on the second day. My muley went 22" inside, but was nice and heavy and pretty high. Unusually long brow tines for a muley. Shot him on the first day at 5:30pm. Shot was 230 yards with my 300 winny.

Antelope was shot on the second day at 300 yards. Measured 14 1/4".

My friend jeff shot his buck the first day about an hour after i did, His muley was a 3x4, 26 1/4" inside spread, real heavy mass. His shot was a little over 50 yards.

He also shot his antelope on the second day, again about 1 hour after i shot mine. Dropped in its tracks at 225 yards. His goat also measured 14 1/4", although his had longer curls and ivcry tips.

Thanks for looking.

Ron

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Very nice buck! I'd be happy with him. How was the weather for you?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weather was really goofy. it started out beautiful on wednesday, went to about 45 degrees, then in about 5 minutes dropped down to 35. It never went above 35 again. Friday, the third day, it was 17 and really windy and snowing, sat was bitter cold, then sunday, we got back to casper, and they had about 5 inches of snow. Great for hunting though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
very nice, what did you do the last three days? Have always wondered that about guided hunts if your successful early on.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mb915 said:
very nice, what did you do the last three days? Have always wondered that about guided hunts if your successful early on.
We were done hunting thursday. On friday, we rode to town with a guy to take all the animals shot to the processor's, and did a little grocery and beer shopping while there. Town was about a 2 hour drive there and back. After we got back we walked around around camp checking things out. On saturday, we hung out with our guide all day, went and got drinking water at the ranchers house(about 100 gallons worth) then drove around the ranch for a few hours spotting and looking for a coyote to kill. We did get one coyote the first day, but that was it. We then hung around the camp and drank beer and talked with the other hunters. They camp went 8 for 8 on mule deer bucks, and 26-27 on antelope(some guys had a couple doe tags) as of sunday morning. When we left for casper sunday morning, one guy was still hunting for his goat. It was well worth the money, to me at least.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Adam K said:
Looks like a great trip, your muley looks like he has a lot of mass too.
Thanks Adam. Yeah, my buck had pretty good mass, real good mass, in fact. Just not as heavy as my friend's. Butcher and the guide said mine was 5 1/2 and his was 6 1/2. Not bad, for sure. I am thrilled with it.A few guys took decent 4x4's, but nowhere near the mass as our bucks. I was happy with the 3x3 because it was kind of unique. It was no spur of the moment thing. We saw this buck and studied it 3 different times on the first day. 1st time, we only got one good look thru the spotting scope. 2nd time, we watched it for about 10 minutes, and the last time, we watched it for probably half an hour or better. Guide told us exactly what it was, and said there would be ground shrinkage, but that it would make a great mount and it was a really good buck, just not a 4x4. If it were a 4x4, it would probably score around 160+. As it stands, it will be lucky to get 145"

·
Registered
970 Posts
Great animals. Glad to hear that Sy treated you well. Did JR show you those goats or did you have someone else? Did you stay at the ranch house and take the horses after the deer?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts