The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I called the sheriff about getting those old guns back he told me he could do the background check before I got there. He only needed my name and birth date. Part of me was left wondering if a check was even done.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
gun shops call in instant checks, why would the sheriffs office be any different ?
you will be asked for ID when you pick up the guns.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bad primer said:
gun shops call in instant checks, why would the sheriffs office be any different ?
you will be asked for ID when you pick up the guns.
Ok, I was just curious because I never bought a gun from a store and never went through the PICs check. All the guns I have were either given to me or purchased for me by my parents before I turned 18. I thought the process was going to be more complex. I thought I would have to fill out paper work or something. He did tell me I needed ID when I went to pick them up. I was also surprised that only a name and birth date was needed. I figured other types of identification would have been needed like a SSI number or something. I am not complaining I just thought it seemed a little simple.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
When buyer and seller are PA residents, long guns do not require a background check. Handguns are different; they always require it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't buy those guns they were transferred to me by the sheriffs dept. They ran a PICs check on me. I was just surprised they could do it with such little info. I called them and gave them my name and birth date. They called me later and said I passed the check. I thought I would have to at least go there in person and fill out the gun check form. I was surprised such little info was needed. I doubt law enforcement can transfer guns without doing a background check and if they could I doubt they would. I was just surprised by how simple it was. I never had a PICs check done on me before.

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
More then likely they did the same check as if you were applying for a carry permit. Jmo

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
NepaGuy said:
I didn't buy those guns they were transferred to me by the sheriffs dept. They ran a PICs check on me. I was just surprised they could do it with such little info. I called them and gave them my name and birth date. They called me later and said I passed the check. I thought I would have to at least go there in person and fill out the gun check form. I was surprised such little info was needed. I doubt law enforcement can transfer guns without doing a background check and if they could I doubt they would. I was just surprised by how simple it was. I never had a PICs check done on me before.
I live in Luzerne County - and have LTCF permit.. THe process is that simple - one page application 10 min process - out the door with a new 5 yr permit for $20.

Depends on Sherrif & County - in Monroe County the process is more complicated (references are actually called)... Reason - recent influx of transplant NYers & NJers = more scrutiny...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it is easy. I looked at the forms online and a SSI number isn't required. I guess all they really use is a persons name and birth date.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
HD1969 said:
NepaGuy said:
I live in Luzerne County - and have LTCF permit.. THe process is that simple - one page application 10 min process - out the door with a new 5 yr permit for $20.

Depends on Sherrif & County - in Monroe County the process is more complicated (references are actually called)... Reason - recent influx of transplant NYers & NJers = more scrutiny...
Chester county here. We're required to go to the court house in person to fill out the paperwork. One page as well IIRC. They then take your photo, and you're done. They tell you they have 45 days to look into your background, and when completed they send the permit to you via the mail. I've never had to wait more than a week or 2 to get it. Trick is to start the process a couple weeks before the old one expires so there is no interruption.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Blue Bird said:
HD1969 said:
NepaGuy said:

Chester county here. We're required to go to the court house in person to fill out the paperwork. One page as well IIRC. They then take your photo, and you're done. They tell you they have 45 days to look into your background, and when completed they send the permit to you via the mail. I've never had to wait more than a week or 2 to get it. Trick is to start the process a couple weeks before the old one expires so there is no interruption.
45 days is [censored]. It took the sheriff here 5 minutes and I didn't even need to go in person. I think Chester county just likes to jerk people around. Too close to Philly and various other liberal cesspools I guess.

·
Registered
25,774 Posts
Several issues in discussion here, so some info is needed to clarify.

If the Sheriff "transferred" firearms, were they stolen and returned from the Sheriff's custody?

If so, a background check is performed to ensure someone is legally-entitled to possess firearms - even if returned as stolen property.

There are people prohibited from possessing firearms, that already had them via family "transfers" or other means, that may not have known they were prohibited from legal possession. A background check is done to make sure stolen firearms may legally be returned.

PICS background checks from FFLs are done for prospective buyers. I always provide my SS# simply because it expedites the PICS check on purchases.

Our county Sheriff has finally gone with the quicker LTCF background check. Previously it could take a week or more from application time, to issuance.

Recently "ne-newed" mine and was in/out in less than a half hour this time around. Gave them my old LTCF; Filled out the app; Provided ID, they called in the PICS check and processed the new LTCF.

Our former Sheriff even checked with the county tax office for residency, to make sure you were paying taxes where you claimed to reside. Always took a minimum of a week to get a new LTCF.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DennyF said:
Several issues in discussion here, so some info is needed to clarify.

If the Sheriff "transferred" firearms, were they stolen and returned from the Sheriff's custody?

If so, a background check is performed to ensure someone is legally-entitled to possess firearms - even if returned as stolen property.

There are people prohibited from possessing firearms, that already had them via family "transfers" or other means, that may not have known they were prohibited from legal possession. A background check is done to make sure stolen firearms may legally be returned.

PICS background checks from FFLs are done for prospective buyers. I always provide my SS# simply because it expedites the PICS check on purchases.

Our county Sheriff has finally gone with the quicker LTCF background check. Previously it could take a week or more from application time, to issuance.

Recently "ne-newed" mine and was in/out in less than a half hour this time around. Gave them my old LTCF; Filled out the app; Provided ID, they called in the PICS check and processed the new LTCF.

Our former Sheriff even checked with the county tax office for residency, to make sure you were paying taxes where you claimed to reside. Always took a minimum of a week to get a new LTCF.
The guns were taken from a prohibited person and transferred to me by the sheriff. I called the sheriff and gave him my name and birth date. He called back and said I clear. We went to the dept and had to sign transfer documents. The guns were mine after that.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am glad I don't live were you guys live. Sounds like the sheriffs in your counties are ball breakers. Also it doesn't take 45 days or even a week to do a back ground check. I never ran a PICs check on anyone buy I have ran lots of background checks on people. It takes five minutes even with limited information. I can't blame the Monroe Co. Sheriff being cautious due to all the smut in that area from NJ and NYC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts