The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going back to a pickup and was looking for some recommendations.....I have owned Ford, Chevy, and GMC pickups in the past BUT have been buying SUV's for the last 10 years or so. I currently own my first Dodge (2014 Durango) and like it BUT wanted some real "expert" advice from you guys.
I do not use my truck for work so I do not need a heavy duty. I am looking for one with the 4 full doors.
Any info is appreciated to help me with my research.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Being that your not planning on using this as a work truck I would take a Ford F150 for a test drive.

Just bought a 2016 SuperCrew 2.7 V6 EcoBoost and really like it so far. Plenty of room for my entire family and drives really nice.

I looked at the Tundra but the Ford F150 gets better gas mileage and had the highest crash test rating of all the trucks which is way more important to me than that silly bed commercial that Chevy put out.

I am not a brand loyal guy by any means and I think a lot of truck buying comes down to personal preference. With that being said, after a few months of searching the F150 suited me the best.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not liking the Tundra gas mileage......
I am not loyal either BUT have only ever bought Ford, Dodge, and GM.
Thanks for the help.

Dave

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
I agree it's not like driving a Honda Civic but at the same time they're much better today than what they were years ago.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not enough information to make a recommendation.

You didn't say if you wanted to buy a new pick up truck or a used pick up truck. A 2 wheel drive or 4.
If you live in the city or country, what your driving style is like.

Where do you live, what do you like to do?
Maybe you don't need a pick up truck at all?

Gasoline or diesel?

Do you have children, how old are they, do you have multiple family members that are going to ride in this truck? How tall are you? How much do you weigh?

Some of the new trucks I have looked at, the back seat looks more like the seat on a buckboard wagon than a car seat. The leg room in the back of most of the new extended cabs is a joke. I probably couldn't even haul someone in the back seat of a Chevy Extended Cab pick up truck.

Most of the trucks, the front seat does not go far enough back. My belly rubs the steering wheel.
The new Chevy's all comes with adjustable pedals.

The new Fords are OK as long as you do not plan on using it as a pick up truck! The aluminum body weighs more then the steel body and the bed is not durable.

The glued on bed on the GM trucks are no better.
I wouldn't put a ladder rack on a Chevy.

Dodge seems to be a pretty good truck, not a lot of complaints from the people I know that owns them.
The one my brother owned was really nice, although the front seat was very uncomfortable - like sitting in a church pew. Dodges usually rides like a buckboard - rough, at least the 3/4 and 1 ton versions..

I'm pretty much through with 1/2 ton trucks, too many problems with the brakes and wheel bearings..

The Crew Cab Chevy's are nice, but the short bed [censored].
It costs more for the plates then an extended cab 1/2 ton pick up. Most people complains about the length and how hard it is to park it at the grocery store or along the street. Problems weaving in and out of city traffic.

The old lady refuses to drive it because she can't see.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Take a ram for a test ride you. I recently purchased a 2016 Ram Longhorn Edition and absolutely love driving the truck. I get almost 22 MPG on the highway. If you google best riding trucks, best turning radius and best stopping distance it was ranked number 1. The Ford did have a better front end crash test but I don't plan on hitting anything.

I was looking to buy at least the Ford Lariat Edition because I wanted leather seats and bucket seats with a center console. Every model above that gose up 10K for each trim level. I also have a friend that retired from Ford and was able to use his pin number to get the truck without any haggling. The Ford Lariat was 5K more than the Ram. i got a lot more options also like a sunroof, running boards, Tonneau cover. real nice floor mats, custom wood steering wheel that is heated, Air conditioned and heated seats, plus more options that I probably forgot.

I also had a 2004 Nissan Titan that was a gas hog and a 2012 Nissan frontier that got 17 mpg on the highway and had the worst turning radius of any vehicle that I had driven. Both of those trucks were bought brand new.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jerbo said:

You didn't say if you wanted to buy a new pick up truck or a used pick up truck. A 2 wheel drive or 4.

Gasoline or diesel?

Do you have children, how old are they, do you have multiple family members that are going to ride in this truck? How tall are you? How much do you weigh?

Some of the new trucks I have looked at, the back seat looks more like the seat on a buckboard wagon than a car seat. The leg room in the back of most of the new extended cabs is a joke. I probably couldn't even haul someone in the back seat of a Chevy Extended Cab pick up truck.

Most of the trucks, the front seat does not go far enough back. My belly rubs the steering wheel.

The new Fords are OK as long as you do not plan on using it as a pick up truck! The aluminum body weighs more then the steel body and the bed is not durable.

Dodge seems to be a pretty good truck, not a lot of complaints from the people I know that owns them.
The one my brother owned was really nice, although the front seat was very uncomfortable - like sitting in a church pew. Dodges usually rides like a buckboard - rough, at least the 3/4 and 1 ton versions..

I'm pretty much through with 1/2 ton trucks, too many problems with the brakes and wheel bearings..

It costs more for the plates then an extended cab 1/2 ton pick up. Most people complains about the length and how hard it is to park it at the grocery store or along the street. Problems weaving in and out of city traffic.

I live in the Poconos......4WD is necessary.
I have 2 boys.....That is why I want the full 4 door cab
I probably do not NEED a pickup but it will be helpful for hunting, fishing, moving kayaks and the occasional Lowe's purchse.
I have purchased certified preowned trucks in the past but nothing over a year old and nothing with more than 12,000 miles
By the way, I am 5'11 240# and like puppies and long walks on SGL's (LOL)
I am leaning towards the Ram.....I am pleased with my 2014 Durango and hear better than average gas mileage with the Ram with the Hemi.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Honda Ridgeliner might fit your needs. Not a true truck,But in todays world a lot of folks don't use a truck for it's potential.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My new rule of thumb is not to buy anything until I have tried everything.
This means - take the whole crew with you down to the truck dealership, load everyone into the truck and take it for a nice long ride.
Find a dirt road, drive up the road, put it in four wheel drive, see if I can get it stuck. See how well the tires digs, see how it goes through a mud hole.
I recently took a new Jacked up Chevy truck for a ride. Found that on loose dirt / gravel that the truck wouldn't pull out on it's own and it drove right at the edge of the passing gear - wrong gears for the size of the tires installed.
The new Z/71 Chevy truck only had about 8 inches of ground clearance between the front bumper fascia and the ground! I'm sorry, but where I go - out in the woods, on unplowed roads, that truck would be worthless. Extended cabs - also has 4 doors.
That is why I asked are you looking for an Extended Cab - almost zero leg room when the front seat is pushed back, or a crew cab - has a little more leg room, but the 5.5' bed, doesn't haul much. When you move up to the 6.5' bed, the truck gets long. 8' bed and you probably couldn't park it on a city street in traffic.

2016 Ford F-150 Weight
The approximate weight of the 2016 Ford F-150 is usually anywhere between 4,150 to 5,236 lbs. This weight changes based on many different factors, but the most notable are cab style, pickup box style and drive system.

2016 F-150
So is this the 700-lb weight savings Ford had claimed? Perhaps, though keep in mind there are are more than 40 different 2015 F-150 engine and body configurations, ranging from the previously mentioned 4,050-lbs - Plain Jane 2 door regular cab work truck with no options, all the way up to 4,900-lbs for the two-wheel drive SuperCrew model.

When you go to 3/4 ton and 1 ton, the weight savings goes down proportionally.
Add a 5th wheel hitch in the bed and a full sized spare tire, custom wheels and the weight will go up considerably.

The Alcoa 20 inch wheels on my 2009 Avalanche weighed about 58 lbs each, with the tires I had mounted on them..

Yet Ford hasn’t released specs for any of the 4×4 models except the regular cab.

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
I just bought a new Ram 2500 with a 6.4.It pained me to by a Dodge and my father would be rolling over in his grave but I had little choice.My buddy is part owner of a Dodge dealership and it would be like cheating on my wife if I bought anything else.I haul a heavy horse trailer so I need a big truck but I was sick of driving a diesel.So far on average,I'm getting close to 18 mpg after a month and 2k miles.It has plenty of power,rides way nicer than my duramax did and is way more comfortable.It also has a lot more ground clearance which will be even higher in the near future.As long as it holds up and doesn't give me problems,I'd probably buy another one.I told my buddy to throw in a spare tranny and rear end instead of a spare tire but he claims those problems have been fixed for several years now.Time will tell.With a little lift and some bigger tires and rims,they're the nicest looking trucks in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I purchased a crew cab 2015 F150 with the 3.5L ecoboost. I have 21000 miles on the truck and love it. Spunky little engine and tows my boat like a dream. Only complaint is at the time a 23 gallon gas tank was standard. I could of upgraded to a 36 gallon tank for $200 but found that out too late.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
DCabets28 said:
Jerbo said:

Gasoline or diesel?

I live in the Poconos......4WD is necessary.
I have 2 boys.....That is why I want the full 4 door cab
I probably do not NEED a pickup but it will be helpful for hunting, fishing, moving kayaks and the occasional Lowe's purchse.
I have purchased certified preowned trucks in the past but nothing over a year old and nothing with more than 12,000 miles
By the way, I am 5'11 240# and like puppies and long walks on SGL's (LOL)
I am leaning towards the Ram.....I am pleased with my 2014 Durango and hear better than average gas mileage with the Ram with the Hemi.
Thanks
Dave
I like the Tundra's, same size motor as the Dodge so I would say same MPG,
I have the double cab which gives me a 6.5 bed,back seat is good for adults and pets.
Been driving the SR5 Tundra's since 2005,no problems,I plan on getting a new one in February and it will be a Limited model.
Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would go in this order, Chevy Silverado, GMC, Ford F150 and then the Ram. No WAY could I buy a Toyota, just to ugly and poor gas mileage, plus it's a toyota!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts