The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after eating pickled turkey gizzards at the Halton Hilton, one of my boys wants to make them.
usually I put gizzards in the gravy, but I'm up for this.

I butchered seven roosters I didn't want and have those gizzards and am planning on picking some more up at the store.

questions.......
for gravy, after slicing in half I usually peel the yellow membrane out, leaving the white membrane to be cut up with the muscle. Should I cut this white membrane off for pickling, leaving the gizzards in two halves?

this is the recipe I am planning on using.

PICKLED GIZZARDS

Ingredients :
2 lb. gizzards (chicken or turkey)
1 c. water
1 c. vinegar
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. pickling spice
1 med. onion, sliced

Preparation :
Trim gristle off gizzards before cooking. Mix ingredients and boil gently 2 pounds gizzards until cooked. Let this mixture stand in the refrigerator for at least one week .

any thoughts?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The yellow is the lining, you will play heck trying to get the white out it doesn't peel.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I absolutely love gizzards (hearts too!). Once a week I boil a pot up with onion, celery and spices. I eat'm cold like some people eat potato chips. I found that they're easier to peel after being cooked from missing a couple when cleaning them. The yellow/green lining shrivels up and gets hard while cooking and it peels right off when they cool down. Never had them pickled though. Might have to try it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
to get the white off, I lay it face down and fillet it off the muscle

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yeah, it is part of the meat and it isn't worth taking it off, it doesn't affect the taste, while the yellow lining is against the food contents and would hae a sour taste.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Mike Barcaskey said:
So, after eating pickled turkey gizzards at the Halton Hilton,
I've only had them at the Wharton Tavern in Potter. Pickled turkey gizzards. It isn't something you eat so much because they taste good, but more because it's a right of passage.

I've thrown a good many of them up, too. I mean c'mon, who eats them sober??

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well that recipe wasn't as good as I remember.
Too sweet for one

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
awe yes the ol floating pieces of meat from the halton hilton, I eat them once a year right before rifle season rolls around of course only after about 23 beers

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ive eaten the pickled gizzards at the hulton hilton on a dare. They were really good. Next time im gona try them sober..

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a camp about 10 miles from the Halton Hilton! I only eat the gizzards after a few beers but like the post before me I also might try them sober this year.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I just made a list of those who admitted to eating these things. I'm going to post this list in the future. Who knows, it may be useful as a blackmail tool?

SW

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made the pickled gizzards and the pickling is thick. Is it suppose to be? How do you serve it, in the thickened picking?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't know about pickled, but we take hearts and gizzards and brown them with butter and lots of garlic. When they are almost done, we add hot sauce. Place them in the oven at 300 for about 2 hours.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts