The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a defined rain boundary for the storms that occurred over memorial day weekend. The streams draining one side of an extended, mountain ridge got pounded with 2" over 2 days while the other side got away with 0.5" over 2 days. I drive along the "rainy" side to get to the "dry" side. I thought I just might be able to sneak into a headwater stream on the "rainy" side of the ridge since it drains quickly.

I fished this stream last friday and had to leave for work right when the action got hot. I picked it up right there where I exited the stream and landed a first cast stocked brown.

The first 15 minutes were incredible. I landed 9 including this nice wild brown.

I was able to identify this small patch of false hellebore from reading one of Frank's posts the other day.

From then, I moved through a stretch of water with very limited trout holding habitat, and when I finally got into better water, there were boot prints everywhere. I spent 1.5 hours here and ended with 16.

I drove to the other side of the mountain to a stream where I thought I just might be the first person to fish it this year. I know it got spinner fished at least 3 times last year, which is a lot for a smaller brookie stream. The pace was slow for the first hour, and I decided that 40 from this stream was my goal.

I had to work pretty far up the stream to get to 40 and it took almost 3 hours. Most fish were around 7" with 3 of them just over 9". I doubt I was the first person to fish it this year.

I headed for home at this point with 56 trout. As I got closer to home I was beginning to think stopping and working a small section of a stream that is only 5 minutes from my house. I haven't visited it since april.
The first cast here brought in a brookie that had been released with a few inches of line hanging out of its mouth. When I used to bait fish, I would always cut the line as close to the mouth as possible on a deeply hooked fish.

Trout had obviously spread out from stocking points, and almost all pocket water held fish. I really enjoy fishing when pocket water is productive. It prods me to think of every possible holding spot.

This extremely dark colored brookie shot out from under a rock in just a few inches of water.

At this point, I lost my last red bead spinner and tied on a WBG to finish out the day.

The bright sun created shadows that made fish spotting difficult. The quick current on this stream doesnt help either. As I approached the next small slack water area below a riffle, I saw what looked like a piece of plastic or fabric swaying in the current. I crept into a better vantage point on the bank and confirmed what I was trying not to get excited about- big trout!
I landed the first cast 10ft upstream of him and he just moved to avoid the spinner as it passed. This left me with a tough decision... let him see the metal again when he obviously seemed uninterested, or tie on a trout magnet(which I carry for situations such as this) and bounce it right in front of him. I opted to stick with the spinner. I brought it in at a slightly different angle, he moved out of the way again, but this time as soon as the spinner passed him, he turned and slammed it.
I adjusted the drag and ended up wading waist deep to guide him around a boulder.
After about a minute and a half, I landed HER. I wanted to do the picture thing quickly because of the extended battle.

I took 3 pictures and this was the best. I measured her against my rod and it was right at my 22" thread. This very well may be the largest trout I catch this year.

I continued up catching quite a few more.

Since I bought a clicker counter, It allows me to relax more while fishing instead of floating numbers around in my head the entire time. I stopped even looking at the number until I exited the stream for home and was really surprised to see that I added 47 more from this stream in a little over 2 hours.

This was my first 100 trout day this year, ending with 103 taken from 3 different streams.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
That brookie with the snelled hook hanging out of its mouth was probably caught by a novice angler who didn't have a clippers. They just opened their swivel to release the trout. Not a very good way to do things. Their intentions were good.

By the way, I once caught a trout by hooking the loop of a snelled hook as the trout chased my spinner.

Congrats on a great day of angling.

·
20,165 Posts
Very nice trip. Nice large trout! That's a really heavy fish right there! You have a lot of great holdover streams out that way. I really really enjoy fishing stream with a high number of carry over trout from the stocking season. It's some of my favorite fishing that I get to do.

·
20,165 Posts
I'm terrible with stream pics but I think I was 1 of the 3 to fish stream #2 last year. I've been looking at that double Hemlock hanging over the stream, or one just like it, for over 20 years now. I'll bet I've caught 50 trout from that spot over the years.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You were one of the three visits to stream #2 last year. The first half mile was slow but I kind of doubt anybody else spinner fished it. The beaver dam is completely washed out now. I fished pretty far up but when I quit there stil looked to be lots of fishable water ahead.

·
20,165 Posts
I've fished it all the way up many times. It's not as long as you'd think. Eventually you'll come to a huge tunnel and above that the habitat is terrible and it gets smaller really fast. It used to be a wonderful place before the PAFBC started to put together their 'wild trout list' which screwed up a whole bunch of great places that used to be secret. I once locked my keys out of my dad's car as a teen at its sister stream down the road and the auto body shop up the road, the owner said, 'have you ever fished such and such?'. I caught my largest ever native there at 15.5". Still have a pic. That was easily 20+ years ago. Those days are long gone though. Now it's pretty much like you had most times. Decent fishing with average SWPA brookies. Looks really low in the pic. I have a hunch that more people fish it now then you think which I think is the case on almost all streams since the list was published. God bless the internet lol. All the knowledge on earth is a mere fingertip away.

Glad that at least a respectful fisherman like you is hitting it and not someone that discovered a new meat locker.

I figured you'd catch those beavers.....

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Superb outing; congrats on your first 100 trout day of the year. I enjoyed your write up and the pictures. Nice big rainbow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts