The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Location location. There are two lonely tree islands in this field with groundhog occupancy at each. The reds shoot straight through the draw to each island. Normally I trap it in later season when the crops are harvested. In this case the farmers took off some but not all the corn. I think they will remove the corn this week so I can set the other island that I prefer which is currently surrounded by corn. If they don't I think this is gonna be a good spot. The log will be one of two sets as a post/flat set. I poked the little hole with a stick and will probably lure and then fill it in with a loose clump of grass. The only thing I don't like is the fact that the log is about 8 inches high. Can't wait to give this spot a go.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have a cornfield next to a dirt road that the farmer drives his tractor on. Next to that is a little grass field to the left up against some woods. Further up the trail is another dirt trail going into the woods that this trail meets. In front of the corn and also left of the corn is a grass field. Have done some Deer hunting there, Any ideas for coyotes? Sorry, don't have pics.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To put it in perspective take into account the physical geography like where are the low spots high spots. Where are they coming from? Where are they going? A lot of times you can decide that by looking at your farm from google maps.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The high spot is where the field is. His house is where I park. Have to walk up a steep trail to get to the fields. The low spot is to the left of the trail where the woods start. There is a very narrow creek separating his woods and the neighbors woods. I was thinking of doing 2 dirt sets in the field and one in the woods. He use to have sheep on his property. In the woods, I was thinking of putting it next to the fenced area where the sheep use to be.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I can't say I've done it on every farm, but the best thing to do is walk your farms after a fresh snow. I do it in the late winter so it gives me incentive to get moving. You'll learn a lot from a little bit of walking. Look for spots where they slow up and do a little hunting. Foxes are easy to stop along their travels, not coyotes. Try and set the coyote up where he's going not while he's going.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts