The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont plan using it this year, so can some one make me a list of what I need to pick up, and also what kind of cleaning methods does everyone do? thanks Matt

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
powder flask, priming powder despencer, ball starter, touch hole cleaner,cleaning jag, patches, lube (or prelubed patches). most of the time you can get a starter kit for a reasonable price.
as for cleaning I take the barrel off and put the end with the touch hole into a small bucket of hot soapy water. I cut a square out of a t-shirt and with the cleaning jag on the ramrod thrust the cleaning patch up and down through the barrel it will act like a pump and pull and push the hot soapy water through the barrel. Repeat this with plain hot water

·
Registered
298 Posts
I cut a square out of a t-shirt and with the cleaning jag on the ramrod thrust the cleaning patch up and down through the barrel it will act like a pump and pull and push the hot soapy water through the barrel.

I was told you should never use t-shirt material. Flanel material is better. But just a suggestion. Do what works for you.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you are cheap like myself I got the bare essential. 1 lb of 2f lb of 4f. Bullets of your choice there are a bunch. I buy the TC cheap shots. I made my own powder flask out of a old saline bottle for contacts. I then had a smaller saline bottle for the flash pan. I have a ball starter and a bent up paperclip for a pick. OOHH and you need something to measure powder. The gun usually goes off without all the fancy brass bells and whistles.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Patch worm,Round Balls,Powder measurer,Black English flints,and pcs of leather to hold flint.Brewyak hit most of them.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where would I find black english flints?

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you need to go real cheap you will need a replacement flint, a ball puller, a patch jag, a patch retrieval jag, A short starter (make it yourself), if round ball you need them, ball patches, patch lube, If conical you need them but they need to be lubed unless you buy the prelubed ones, Powder measure, either several quick loads or film canisters for powder and a baggie for lubed bullets/patches. Of course you will need main charge powder either 2f or 3f and some 4f pan powder. 3f can be used in a pinch as pan powder.

·
Registered
12,720 Posts
Actually, German flints are alot harder to find, usually sold only in certain stores or thru the magazines. It`s the American agate flints that are easier to find and I don`t care for those. The German flints are much better!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Was at cabelas about an hour ago looking at german flints, they had plenty, chose not to get them there as most of my muzzleloader stuff comes from Dixons in Kempton

·
Registered
12,720 Posts
Man, I wish Dixons would open a place here near Pittsburgh-I would practically live there

·
Registered
102 Posts
I might have to move away from here between Dixons and Cabelas (the wife part time for the discount)that close. My retirement check doesn't have a chance. I am in those stores more than wallyworld. Dixons just has a warm atmosphere and they don't look at you all bug-eyed when you ask a stupid question

·
Registered
373 Posts
Another thing you may want to get is a T-handle rod. I bought one from Dixon's for about $15. I use it for cleaning (instead of using the wooden ram rod) and pulling balls out. I have heard numerous people prefer a fiberglass ram rod over a wooden one. You may want to purchase one if you don't already have a fiberglass one.

·
Registered
12,720 Posts
Firefighter25 said:
Another thing you may want to get is a T-handle rod. I bought one from Dixon's for about $15. I use it for cleaning (instead of using the wooden ram rod) and pulling balls out. I have heard numerous people prefer a fiberglass ram rod over a wooden one. You may want to purchase one if you don't already have a fiberglass one.
Is that "T" Handle a range rod or does the T fold and go on your muzzleloader? I am looking for a good Range Rod/Cleaning rod since I lost my last one

1 - 20 of 20 Posts