The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The topic for Photo Contest #10 is "Public Land"

In Pennsylvania we are blessed with 116 State Parks, 2.1 million acres of State Forests and 1.4 million acres of game lands that are open to the public year round. Aside from the obvious hunting opportunities, these public lands provide a wealth of other outdoor activities as well. My fondest memories of my childhood (which wasn't that long ago) were the Sunday drives my family took across Shade Mountain in the Bald Eagle State Forest. I want to see your best pictures taken on public land. Please include where the picture was taken with your photograph and maybe the story behind the picture, sometimes that is as interesting as the picture.

Good Luck and get out and enjoy the cool weather!

The contest starts today and will end at midnight September 17. I will post the winner Friday September 18.

One entry per person and the picture must be taken during the above time frame!

And remember this is for fun only, the more pictures that are posted the more interesting it will be to see who wins.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
here ya go.. my buddy bill hunting doves

·
Registered
992 Posts
Here is mine.
This was taken at the Miller farm in the Oil Creek State Park..
A very accessible section of the stream as there is a very nice bike trail that travels along it for many miles..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Here is my Submission this is the Lookout point of the Nockamixon Dam. Great park to go fishing, boating hiking and even more Great hunting there since some Sections of the Part of linked to game land 157. Took the kids today to see it but they would not stand still long enough for a picture.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
This is one of the many coves at Pymatuning Lake. Great place to boat, fish, bike, or just to sit back and relax and enjoy the scenery.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Oil Creek State park is refered to as "the Valley that changed the world". This is where oil was discovered 150 years ago. In 1859 Edwin Drake drilled the first oil well which is near Titusville, PA at the North end of the park. Several towns, of several thousand people each, sprung up around areas with producing wells. Most of these towns do not exist today. Petroleum Center and Pithole are two of the more well known towns. There are several others in the area. Oil Creek which runs through the park, and is a well known trout stream today, was a mess during the oil days. Horses were used to pull barges with wooden barrels of oil up and down the creek during periods of the year that it was too shallow to float barges. The entire area was deforested and oil was on everything. Oil mixed with mud from the surrounding hills to form a "paste" that men and horses worked in daily. The creek was covered with a sheen of oil.

Today the park is a beautiful place to hunt and fish, hike, ride your bike, etc. The history of the area is amazing and it is really hard to believe what it must have been like 150 years ago.

This photo was taken in Oil Creek State park at the Benninghoff Farm Tableau which is a short hike from the ghost town of Petroleum Center. I used Picasa to give the photo a historical look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts