The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some trail camera pics today and I remembered I had this spike on the camera card from last summer. My son shot this spike on opening day this past season. I'm thinking they are the same deer. My son shot the buck about 350yds from where the trail cam pic took place.The black marks on the nose are flies. What do you think, is it the same deer.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I would say no,
The biggest difference that I see is the buck your son shot has the black triangle at the top of it's nose,I don't see that on the one in the cam picture.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I agree with Mossy
Looks like a different deer to me

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
that triangle is there, the coat is a summer coat vs fall

·
Registered
495 Posts
I am not sure, they look very similar. The winter and summer coats make them look so different. I see the triangle shape on the winter coats nose. I can see that is hair not part of the nose. Question is does a winter coat change the features on a deer? I also would figure that the deer would be about 3 months older so that might contribute to it looking a little different. If I had to guess I would say they were the same, but at the same time I'm not sure.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would say no, one is alive and the other is dead...... sorry could not pass that up, to me they look like the same but what doI know.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Same deer, different coats. There is a black triangle there, it just looks different without so much white being present at that time of year!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts