The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Homer - destroyed the team trading away player/prospects for past their prime "veterans" then signing those "veterans" to over paid multi year contracts.... He gets promoted to President

Hexy - cleans up much of Homers mess and gets fired ... his biggest failure has been not getting a quality goalie. However injuries have played a part in that - if Elliot + Neuvy could stay healthy we would have OK goaltending maybe until Stolly/Lyon or Hart are ready(Stolly missed lots of time due to injury and now Lyon is injured too) Remember we used to have a good goalie coach - but he was fired because Homer wanted to play Mason too soon after an injury. Reminiscent of the Lindros/Clarke fiasco.

I believe this team has many issue's starting with the coaching staff(Lappy was a great Flyer but as a special teams coach he stinks). Hakstol needs to light a fire under his own butt before he can fire -up the team. However to do that the players need to want to play for him and I just don't see that ESPECIALLY FROM THE VETERANS.... 4yrs of we just have to play better gets old quick. Last nights game was great until the 3rd period when a different team skated onto the ice(usually it's reversed and they don't play till late in the game)... I haven't seen 60mins of hockey out of this team since they fired Laviolette.

I don't know what the answer is but not really looking forward to yet another "REBUILD"

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree.

"his biggest failure has been not getting a quality goalie." This has been a major part of the problem. Not everything needs to be home grown. It is ok to shop for talent in the net. Waugh!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Gordon gets promoted to "interim" coach.... Whether he keeps the job remains to be seen, but he's got a trial period.

Carter Hart gets the start and the win.... Granted it was against a struggling Detroit.

The team played a full 60 minutes.... Still some issue's but better overall(again struggling Detroit)

Things are rosie for the Orange+Black.... At least till Thursday... LOL

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
The kid did a nice job in goal, considering 24 hours ago he was at a Christmas party.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
WOO HOOO.... Carter Hart worked hard for last nights win .... the penalty kill also gets a huge ATTA BOY for killing back to back 5 on 3's plus and extended 5 on 4. All while not making several calls on the Predators.... INCLUDING watching Coots get smashed into the boards !!! Granted that Provrov shouldn't have poked the Ref but they still should have called the game better.... not saying the Flyers were innocent but a few of those calls were pretty weak.... Especially when you don't call worse on the Predators ..... SORRY RANT OVER..... NICE WIN !!!.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seven in a row We are on a roll. All down hill so the roll is easy and fast. Has any other team ever played a whole game without a goalie like the Flyers. Waugh!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Show me the ice this year! I wish there was some...

We had some early but it went away. We should have good black ice by this weekend at least on the shallower ponds and lakes. BTW I only live about 10 miles from the baby pens home ice. They stole my daughter and now she is a pens fan. Get to check out some games and it is great hockey. Waugh!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Kind of a fluke filled game but WAY TO MANY liberties were taken on Carter Hart. None of the BOYS stepped up to clear the crease or send a message to the whackers. Not sure why the whistles weren't blown sooner on the 1st Wild goal and the cluster that came later(fortunately they did not allow that goal. The 3 Wild(including the goalie) sure jumped on our guy with fists flying the one time he had contact and somehow it was called coincidental penalties.

But overall it was a nice win and the faithful even got to toss some hats !

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think we have more wins than losses since hockey season started on the east half of the state. Waugh!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
2 in a row .... WOOHOOO ! The boys played a pretty good game against Boston. Still some errors but overall the best game I've watched this season - A full 60 mins of hockey ! Carter Hart was outstanding in net, Coots netted a hat trick and wasn't to shabby defensively either. Didn't see who got the stars of the game (stupid NBC) but IMO they both deserved to share the No.1 - No. 2 star should have gone to the penalty kill stood up Boston at the blue line and and didn't allow Boston much time in the zone including on an extended 5:00 Boston power play.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts