The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

I'm glad to have found this forum...
I've recently moved to Philadelphia, and I'm looking forward to joining Eastern Penn Mushroomers group.
In the meantime, I'd like to take some colleagues mushroom hunting, and I was hoping that you folks might have some good recommendations for areas in the general Philly region. From what I've seen on short walks and scoured online, the Wissahickon woods aren't so fruitful, so I'm hoping that there may be other, somewhat near yet wild places that I can't spot on the PA gazeteer. Perhaps Fort Washington State Park?

By the way, I'm a gentle mycophile, simply enjoying the hunt.

Also, I see that there's an "official" Eastern Penn Mushroomer hunt scheduled for Sunday, near Harrisburg; I'm afraid that may a bit too far to travel.

Many thanks for any advice you might give. Best,

ajc

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
The easterner do meet in York now and they have meeting every month in the winter time when shrooms are not available.. However they do go on forays in different areas of Eastern Pa in Fall, Spring, and Summer... From places like Carbon/Luzerne County..all the way down into Lancaster at Susquahannock State Park..

Your doing the right thing...Just go to a state park in the Philadelphia area. Also remember too there are other public lands to use too.. Even local townships have small parks with woods that are filled with all kinds of shrooms.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You could give Ridley Creek State Park a try. It's about 15 minutes west of 476 on you way towards West Chester. I haven't been there in a while (never been for shrooms) but should be a decent area. The Okehocking Preserve is right around the corner from there as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts