The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was headed out dove hunting on this past Saturday evening and nearly fell over when I saw not only a pheasant hen walk across the road in front of me, but also two half grown yearling hen chicks! The place was a public tract that gets the handful of hens stocked every year and I always assumed they got eaten in a heartbeat. What a sight it was to see to see a hen and two of her offspring surviving and doing well! I tried getting a picture when I got out of the car, but the momma flushed and then the two half grown gals flushed right behind her. Beautiful, beautiful sight. Sad it's so rare to see now, but it made my night!

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's great to hear. I was out Sunday doing some scouting for Doves and a little dog training at a local pheasant stocking location in Central PA.

On the trail hiking in my dog(18mo old Draathar) stops dead and points something in some thick briars. I though it might have been a rabbit, so I say "no bird" and we keep going to a field for some retreiver training. On the way back he points nearly the same patch of briars, I'm confused now so I hike in and trounce around the brush and sure enough, A hen pheasant flushes out of the brush. Needless to say, the dog was very confused as to why I didn't shoot at it.

That's exciting to see a few birds holding over to the next season.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts