The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one got a good Whole Roasted Pheasant recipe?

I want to try a whole roasted bird ... Just concerned with drying it out
... So I want to get some tips if you folks have any

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I roast them all the time (skinned). Just make sure you cover the bird with foil until the last couple minutes (if you like 'em browned. I also put either water or chicken stock in the bottom of the baking dish to keep in the moisture. I guess you could experiment w/ any liquid you'd like?

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
We have a rotisserie with a bird marinade and that comes
out very good.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it best with skin on ... or does it not matter? ... Also have any of you hung your birds for a few day ungutted(sp) ... European style? Always wanted to try it ... just never had the nerve

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
that just does not even sound appealing.

I normally cook pheasant breast just like chicken. but it does do good in chicken corn soup.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Nikdob said:
Is it best with skin on ... or does it not matter? ... Also have any of you hung your birds for a few day ungutted(sp) ... European style? Always wanted to try it ... just never had the never
never had the never?
just kiddin I knew what you meant. That's why they have preview post.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Nope, and I don't plan to either. I have a friend who puts his game birds uncleaned in the bottom drawer of a fridge for several days before he cleans them, he swears they are better, I told him not to invite me to eat any. I also don't reserve woodcock entrails to make sauce, also another European custom.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I have hung waterfowl 2-3 days in right weather (cold though not frozen), if not too shot up. Same as I do deer. If you skin bird, try using chicken skin to cover up bird to keep moist.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
you can also make a lattice out of bacon to protect the skinned bird. wrap in a lovely blanket of bacon, and bake as usual. dangit..i'm hungry again now.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
he is saying with the guts and everything in the bird. no way jose. I prefer my bird fresh. like 24hr fresh. nothin like going home pulling the skin away slicin the breasts out of a warm bird loppin off the thighs and having a bbq. YUM.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Frank I hangmy deer for at least 5 days in a cooler, but they are skinned and gutted. That is a lot different from hanging birds ungutted and uncleaned with all the internal juices laying inside the bird. If you do it, more power to you, but not me, I like my small game cleaned and cooled as soon as it is practical.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The best way I have found to roast any bird is to stuff it with halfed onions and celery. As the bird roasts the veggies steam from the inside of the bird. Keeping them moist. Onions and celery are about 90% water

1 - 12 of 12 Posts