The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GC stocked pheasant about a month ago and they seem to be everywhere. I've had one bird (alive) in a set and 3 feet in others in the past two weeks. I guess the question is...do you think it's the dirt pattern they're attracted to or the lure? Each set has different lure in it so the only constant would be the dirt pattern. Yesterday my son and I checked two feild sets then went to check two in a wooded hollow and when we came out of the hollow there was 12 cockbirds and 1 hen around the field sets. We had to drive up through them to scare them away. Farm birds aren't really the brightest critters out there.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Sounds like the solution to your problem is only a spaniel and a handful of hi-brass 6's away.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I’ve caught a few pheasants over the years, as well as 1 grouse. As was mentioned, I assumed they wanted to dust in the sifted dirt.

Also, one time I drove up a farm lane to check a trap that was set where a wheat field and a corn stubble field met. I had a red fox, or so I thought. When I stopped and got out of the truck, the fox took off. I walked up to the set and found the remnants of a Canada goose in my trap. That fox (or foxes) sure gorged himself on an easy meal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts