The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I have made it in the past....

We had 2 guys come up from South Carolina to hunt early goose season back in the mid 90s....

While they were up here, we set up a pheasant, chuckar, quail hunt with a guy I know who has a bird preserve in McClure PA...

They shot a mess of birds, they wanted something different made so I took a deer sausage recipe I have and breasted out all the pheasants, chuckar and quail and ground them up...

I used If I remember correctly, half and half....pheasant/chuckar/quail ground and weighed with the same amount of pork butt ground and mixed in...when I froze it and sent it over night to those guys, they loved it!

it can be made, you just have to mix either pork or beef into it to keep it moist when cooking!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
here is the recipe I have for deer suasage...

Woodywoodduck said:
From my Old PGC Cook Book...and it is VERY Tastey!!
Knight50Cal and I tweeked the recipe a little...

makes 10 pounds of sausage...

7 pounds of ground deer meat
3 pounds of ground pork butt
6 level tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 level teaspoons red pepper flakes
2 level teaspoons paprika
2 level teaspoons gound sage
4 teaspoons garlic powder

Stuff into pig casings or form into patties!
You can make 5 pound batches, just cut everything in half...if you do it that way, you might consider 2.5 pounds of pheasant breast ground with 2.5 pounds of pork butt gound and mixed together with the spice amounts cut in half!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Buzzy said:
Why not use chicken thighs instead of pork?? Keep it in the fowl family.
How much fat is on those chicken Thighs?

Not as much as is in Pork or Beef Suet....

Adding Chicken Thighs might help it to become moist and hold some moisture, but adding ground pork or beef Suet, is going to make it moist and hold moisture very good like you want so it does not dry out

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Buzzy said:
so it does not dry out

it's called NOT over cooking. Use a thermometer
GO FOR IT!!!

Take Meat that has NO Fat in it...Stuff it in a Casing and smoke it to the Temp NEEDED to kill off Bacteria....your going to come out with DRY Meat!

Meat with NO Fat in it or a Fat Substatute is going to dry out....

Have you ever read any books on Fat Substatue or Fat itself and WHY it is mixed in??

It is to Hold Moisture...

When you take meat to a temp of 155-165, it Dries out...

Take Lean Pheasant breats, Grind them up and SEE what you get when it gets to 165 degrees in a casing... it is DRY, if you do not add some sort of Fat or Fat Substatute!

I USE Thermometors......1 inserted into the Meats being smoked (Sausage, bologna, snacksticks, whole legs) and 1 in the smoker to know the inside Temp of the Smoker...

When Thermometor in Meat hit 155 Degrees, the Smoker gets turned OFF and the meat is left to go to 165 to kill off the Nasty Bacteria that can still be there that will make people Sick....When the meat hits 156 and has no Fat or Fat Suibstatute in it, it is already Dry like Cardboard!

Your NOT posting to Someone who just started doing this yesturday...I been around smoking and Curing meats since I was 5 and learn from there and Understand what is needed and why!
From the Sounds of you saying that..your 1 of those who believe that Soduium Nitrite has no course of use other then to turn the meat a Red Shade and feel it is not needed to be used in Smoke Cured Meats??

·
Registered
580 Posts
I didn't notice anything about being smoked cured sausage.
Your NOT posting to someone that just started to read. Why would you post a recipe with NO cure in it & then turn around to bash me about curing meat. From the sounds of it your opinion is the only 1 that matters. Who are you to judge me when all I'm doing is making a suggestion to a fellow member.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Larry said:
Do I have to call Gunny away from the Universylum to visit the mess hall and sort you guys out?
No,
some just don't understand and it goes 50,000 feet over thier heads... if your going to make something that is COOKED and Not placed in a smoker, you do not need to add any Sodium Nitrate or Nitrite to it... you just mix it up, stuff it in casing and either freeze it or Toss it in a Frying pan and COOK it!

If you Larry go back and look at the Recipe, you will see someone OVERLOOKED it says NO WHERE to place in a Smoker...which means...Dang, you don't need any of that Cure Stuff in it for it will be cooked and Not placed in a smoker that takes Oxygen out of the smoker and creates a Breeding Ground for Nasty Bacteria!

There, Easier for you Larry, Do you see anywhere, where it says to place it in a smoker that would cause no oxygen in there and make a breeding ground for nasty bacteria that will make you sick?
Woodywoodduck said:
here is the recipe I have for deer suasage...

Woodywoodduck said:
From my Old PGC Cook Book...and it is VERY Tastey!!
Knight50Cal and I tweeked the recipe a little...

makes 10 pounds of sausage...

7 pounds of ground deer meat
3 pounds of ground pork butt
6 level tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 level teaspoons red pepper flakes
2 level teaspoons paprika
2 level teaspoons gound sage
4 teaspoons garlic powder

Stuff into pig casings or form into patties!
You can make 5 pound batches, just cut everything in half...if you do it that way, you might consider 2.5 pounds of pheasant breast ground with 2.5 pounds of pork butt gound and mixed together with the spice amounts cut in half!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts