The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
I don't have an answer, but I'll bet you could come real close by looking at last years and adding 6 days to all of the dates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,637 Posts
Are they stocking co-ops?

I don't care about the dates. You can still find birds most times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
I asked the exact Q.to the game commission the other day and got a prompt reply from them.They stated that they are in the process of updating the new schedule for this year and should be posted in a few weeks.Said to watch their site on facebook and you can sign up for email alerts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,490 Posts
Gentlemen,
It is my opinion that this information should never be given out, till a week after birds are stocked. In fact they should close the stocking areas, for at least 3 days after stocking Pheasant and scatter the birds as they stock.
Pine Creek/Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,391 Posts
Pine-Creek said:
Gentlemen,
They should close the stocking areas, for at least 3 days after stocking Pheasant and scatter the birds.
C'mon, I always enjoy shooting them as they leave the crates. Its easy and fun and I get my limit in a few seconds. No, seriously I kinda agree with you on this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
MonsterBuck7 said:
Pine-Creek said:
Gentlemen,
They should close the stocking areas, for at least 3 days after stocking Pheasant and scatter the birds.
C'mon, I always enjoy shooting them as they leave the crates. Its easy and fun and I get my limit in a few seconds. No, seriously I kinda agree with you on this one.
I just keep shooting till they stop letting the birds fly from the crates or I run out of shells, then go find two dead birds. Saves alot of time and I dont even have to look for my crippled birds. Dogs are so overrated for pheasant hunting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,680 Posts
Pine-Creek said:
Gentlemen,
It is my opinion that this information should never be given out, till a week after birds are stocked. In fact they should close the stocking areas, for at least 3 days after stocking Pheasant and scatter the birds as they stock.
Pine Creek/Dave
Multiple day closings are impractical (for one thing too much predator loss over 2 or 3 days) but I'd certainly like to see a "day of stocking" closure or at the very least make it illegal to shoot as the birds are being stocked. I mean some of these slobs cant even wait until the truck has left the field.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,490 Posts
Gentlemen,
I love the Pheasant opener, less people in the Grouse woods.
Pine Creek/Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
I have been in thefield when the stocking truck arrived. As a dog owner that the worst time to be out. The birds dont want to fly. they seem to run around the edges of the cover/fields in groups and wont flush until they get way out of range.
I agree they should close durung the day they are stocked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
I have a game news from the 40's I believe. When they were a full size magazine and one of the field notes talks about the game warden shooting hawks while stocking pheasants. Different perspective towards predators then I suppose.It will take some digging but I can provide the month year and name if you doubt me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,490 Posts
BlackStump,
The Wardens use to shoot predator birds, especially when they were helping stock birds, that statement in the GN is absolutely correct, it was way before the Feds dictated
over the state game commissions. Dewey Grant was seriously good with a shotgun.
Pine Creek/Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,415 Posts
BlackStump said:
I have a game news from the 40's I believe. When they were a full size magazine and one of the field notes talks about the game warden shooting hawks while stocking pheasants. Different perspective towards predators then I suppose.It will take some digging but I can provide the month year and name if you doubt me.
Back in the good old days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,562 Posts
Back then they knew that hawks ate pheasants. If you notice now they are unable to provide this service and wild pheasants are few and far between and the stocked birds are cleaned up quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,143 Posts
Pine-Creek said:
Gentlemen,
It is my opinion that this information should never be given out, till a week after birds are stocked. In fact they should close the stocking areas, for at least 3 days after stocking Pheasant and scatter the birds as they stock.
Pine Creek/Dave
....Amen. I took my nephew out to SGL 234 on astocking day last year (hes a junior and had never shot a pheasant before) and I was actually sickened by what I saw adult "hunters" doing. As I'm trying to teach my nephhew safety and sportsmanship, I was surrounded by slob idiots. Sad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,490 Posts
Tanneryhunts,
You sound like a good sportsman, drop me some private mail and we will arrange a time for you to bring your nephue to our log cabin in Potter/Tioga, we do not worry about opening days here, and you can teach him how to bird hunt in a safe wild enviornment.
Pine Creek/Dave

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,779 Posts
since this is basically a wish list type thread.

the easiest way would be unannounced releases ,
but even then ,there would be truck stalkers.

next best would be sunday releases with at least Monday closures
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Tanneryhunts,
I to made the mistake of going to sgl 234 on a stocking last year never again it was a disgrace! But because of that I searched for new places and found what seems to be a good sgl low hunting pressure and birds to entertain the dog! As hard as it is to see grown men acting like that remeber they are the minority there is a lot more good ethical hunter!
 
1 - 20 of 131 Posts
Top