The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a negative post aimed at the Game Commission, but I don't understand this. We just closed down two pheasant farms and now legislation is presented to request a $25 Pheasant permit. That should have been requested years ago, right? Isn't that backward thinking? I would be glad to pay more for a license and buy permits if it will help the Commission improve hunting, but this is closing the barn door after the cows have left. Am I looking at this correctly? Just wondering not bashing anyone.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
It's not that the stamp would have saved the pheasant farms I don't think. The closing of the farms is a cost savings measure and I think it has more to do with the fact that the commission is switching from reproducing pheasants to buying 1 day old chicks from private farms and raising them to maturity. It's been reported that the commission is facing an $8 million dollar shortfall this year. Since the legislature has not allowed a license increase in the last 18 years I suppose the only option is to make cuts and come up with stamps especially now that the Marcellus gas drilling is in sharp decline.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts