The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share a couple of pheasant hunt photos.

The first picture is of some of the Pheasants Forever gang and our partners from Rosebud Mining at their Queenstown Shooting Preserve a couple weeks ago. On this hunt we took a wheelchair bound twelve year old young lady on an afternoon pheasant hunt. As you can see she even managed to get one. Even though it was a cold and rainy day that harvest warmed everyones heart and brought out the smiles.

The second photo is one I took after this morning's hunt on the Game Lands. Even though it has been a week since the last time it was stocked there are still lots of birds. This is only about the third day though that both of my birds were roosters and the first day it happened that the birds weren't soaking wet and made for a reasonable photo opportunity.

There are still a lot of great hunting opportunities just awaiting you. Get out there and enjoy those oppotrunities.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Nice birds!!

I have been privledged to hunt Queenstown a couple of times every year with some great friends. We're even forced to rough it in that lodge

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
That my friend is an outstanding Post! It's good to see that there are still Americans with their priorities straight.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Great post. Thanks for sharing the story about the young lady with us.

·
Super Moderator
13,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
clearfield12 said:
That is AWESOME...I bet she had the time of her life..Is she going hunting for other game?
Yep she sure is hunting other game. She was one of the two wheelchair restricted girls our Pheasants Forever Chapter hosted at Queenstown for pheasant hunting in 2011. That was her first hunting experience of any kind.

She was only eleven then, so she had no doe license, but one of our members set up a hunt on his lease and donated his 2F doe tag as her mentor if she was successful. She was successful. I have a picture of that hunt somewhere but can’t seem to find it right now.

Last spring they took her back to that lease for spring gobbler. She got her first spring gobbler. Here is the picture.

She is now twelve and has her own licenses. I will be taking her dad out Sunday morning to show him some places on LandVest property where he can drive in and set her up in a blind or even from the vehicle (she has a permit to use a vehicle as a blind) where she will have a good chance of getting a buck and filling a LandVest DMAP permit during the upcoming deer season.

She also has announced that she wants to get a bear. They are taking her down to Queenstown for bear season where the gang will try to drive a bear out for her. Getting her into a bear though is pretty lofty goal.

She is a good kid and enjoys hunting so we will do what we can to get her some opportunities.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Super Moderator
13,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Following is a picture from today’s hunt with a friend in Forest County. Birds were hard to find today. We hunted through some pheasant cover for an hour and a half and each got one rooster, the only two birds we had up. Then we spent about two hours hitting some really good grouse cover that has always produced grouse in the past, but not a one today. We hit the same pheasant cover again on the way out and each got our second pheasant, though once again they were the only birds we had up. It was pretty hard hunting today for a couple of old timers.

A couple of the readers that visit this site will probably recognize both of these old timers though.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
R. S. B. said:
clearfield12 said:
That is AWESOME...I bet she had the time of her life..Is she going hunting for other game?
Yep she sure is hunting other game. She was one of the two wheelchair restricted girls our Pheasants Forever Chapter hosted at Queenstown for pheasant hunting in 2011. That was her first hunting experience of any kind.

She was only eleven then, so she had no doe license, but one of our members set up a hunt on his lease and donated his 2F doe tag as her mentor if she was successful. She was successful. I have a picture of that hunt somewhere but can’t seem to find it right now.

Last spring they took her back to that lease for spring gobbler. She got her first spring gobbler. Here is the picture.

She is now twelve and has her own licenses. I will be taking her dad out Sunday morning to show him some places on LandVest property where he can drive in and set her up in a blind or even from the vehicle (she has a permit to use a vehicle as a blind) where she will have a good chance of getting a buck and filling a LandVest DMAP permit during the upcoming deer season.

She also has announced that she wants to get a bear. They are taking her down to Queenstown for bear season where the gang will try to drive a bear out for her. Getting her into a bear though is pretty lofty goal.

She is a good kid and enjoys hunting so we will do what we can to get her some opportunities.

Dick Bodenhorn
That is incredible. You guys are helping to create memories that are irreplacible to that little girl. Great Job and thats what its all about

·
Super Moderator
13,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took another of the youth who won pheasant hunts at the Elk County Youth Field Day event out this morning for their opportunity to hunt over my dog.

I met her and her dad at about 0715 and we headed for a section of the game lands that generally doesn’t get a lot of pressure, probably because it has some pretty steep hillsides. We had 18 birds up in two and half hours. The young lady, 13 years old, did a fantastic job of not only responsible firearms handing but also shooting. She missed the first few birds up but then settled down and got two roosters. Her dad got one rooster.

All in all it was another great day of introducing a young hunter to hunting over a pointing dog.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Super Moderator
13,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With today being the observance of Veteran’s Day several members of Pheasants Forever Chapter 630 traveled to Warren where we partnered with the National Wild Turkey Federation to host twenty–four Veterans for a day of pheasant hunting and hospitality.

We met at the Starbrick Fire Hall where each dog handler was assigned two hunters for each of twelve separate hunts split into groups of four hunts at a time. That meant that each two hours eight new hunters were assigned the fields for their hunt.

Throughout the day there was food and demonstration type activities going on at the Fire hall for the Veterans still waiting or that had already finished their hunt.

The ages of the hunters ranged from Korea Vets in their seventies to Viet Nam all the way up to recently discharged Enduring Freedom Vets and at least one still active Army solder. The mobility of the Veteran/hunters was also wide ranging from a double amputee to one who needed a cane to walk to those that were able to cover ay terrain we could put them through.

All in all it was a great day and a great way for us to observe Veteran’s Day. Most of the hunters, all Veterans, had a few opportunities to shoot at pheasants over our dogs with many harvesting a bird and a few that got their limit. Some discovered that their guns worked a lot better then their aim and we even had a couple convinced that we had issued them shells with no shot pellets in them.

At the end of the day all returned to the Fire Hall where the NWTF had many door prizes and raffles to draw for. I high percentage of the hunters left there with not only a bird or two but also some pretty nifty prizes they had won.

Here are a couple pictures of the hunters I had out.

My first two hunters were with a father and son team who are both Veterans. It was really difficult for Dad since he had to use a cane to move about the fields while I carried his gun. Then when the dog would go on point I would give him the gun and we would try to get him to where he could get a shot when we flushed the bird. It was tuff and the son of course wanting his dad to be successful passed up some shots as we worked to get dad in the right places. But, the son did finally harvest a bird.

Though Dad didn’t harvest a pheasant he did get a shot or two and enjoyed his day and opportunities.

The second group I worked my dog for were both able to get through the fields a lot better and we had several good points that ended with birds going up well within range. One hunter limited out and the other had several shots, but I guess he must have been one of the hunters that had been issued shells with no shot inside.

I didn’t see one Veteran, Dog Handler, or other Volunteer who wasn’t pleased with the way they spent their Veteran’s Day today. It was the perfect way for Veterans to spend the day with other Veterans.

I want to extend my Thank You to all of the Veterans, of the past and today, who have stood up in the defense of our freedoms so we can all spend quality days with such good people as we continue to enjoy our days a field. I also want to thank all of the many volunteers who have taken the time to both help and thank our Nation’s Veterans.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Good work! I know the veterans that take part in hunts like this appreciate it very much. I'm sure you had just as much fun as the guys doing the hunting.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Way to go! I am sure you made there day. What a great way to celebrate veterans day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts