The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am aware that there is no more then 6 allowed to hunt together. I have a nephew I want to take for a walk along on the first day of pheasent. Is he considered part of the hunting party? There will be six licensed hunters would it then be illegal to have my nephew as well?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I was allways under the impression that if someone was walking with you he is considered part of the hunting party. he could flush a bird that otherwise wouldn't have for instance. stupid rule for those that come along and video and try to get someone into hunting but I am pretty sure that is it. best bet is call the pgc at both the area you will be hunting and the harrisburg office.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Just have him walking behind you and not spread out as part of the hunting party, you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well trust me he will be right next to me. I would trust him being further then arms length away. This will be his first hunting experience. I want to make sure he doesn't run out in front or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Then taking him the first day may not be the greatest idea, especially with 6 hunters. Way too much confusion there. Much better to get him out when it's just you and him. That way you have time to talk and explain how the dog is working, tell and hear cool stories, and show him woodsman-type stuff. Plus you don't have to make him go through the world's largest multiflora rose patch because everyone else is. Six hunters on the first day on gamelands is not going to teach him much except how Unc and his buddies swear!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Bob Jamison said:
Then taking him the first day may not be the greatest idea, especially with 6 hunters. Way too much confusion there. Much better to get him out when it's just you and him. That way you have time to talk and explain how the dog is working, tell and hear cool stories, and show him woodsman-type stuff. Plus you don't have to make him go through the world's largest multiflora rose patch because everyone else is. Six hunters on the first day on gamelands is not going to teach him much except how Unc and his buddies swear!
diddo that

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
I concur. First day is not the day to take a novice out for "the experience". I actually got pepperred with shot years back hunting a GL on the first day. Take him when things quiet down.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
22 years ago I took my best friend out in Chester cty. for the first day of small game. He never hunted before, but took the course and and practiced often. About noon we came out of an old cow pasture that we were told we could hunt by the farmer. It was mungy and nasty, but we got birds out of there. When walking out a truckload of guys who had permission asked if they could go in, I said knock your socks off but be carefull as you will sink to your knees. Well we weren't 50 yds away and a shot went off, then the screaming started. One guy got stuck and his buddy pulled him out with his gun. Well the trigger went off and basically killed the guy at the wrong end. My best friend was the first guy down in to help. To this day he is my #1 hunting buddy, but this story was never talked about again. Surprised he stuck with it after that. Please be careful out there, I'm a archery addict so I don't get after small game like I used to. Opening day can get crazy!!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Dad took me out the first day like 16-17 years ago. I had a blast. I actually would like to show him the more exciting side of hunting. We don't have a dog so going out other days may not be as productive. But Grandpa (My Dad) will be with us. He will have the say. It will probably only be 4 of us. But a couple of my buds said they were going. We may not even hook up. Also in years past the first day of pheasant where I go really isn't that bad.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
No dog, first day, large party. Recipe for disaster. Your nephew will not appreciate hunting like he would if you took him out the next Friday. By yourself.

Personally, if I didn't have a dog, I wouldn't even bother trying to hunt pheasants. Other than stand along woodlines and pass-shoot! Dogless pheasant hunting is an exercise in futility.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts