The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We flushed our favorite field today for wild pheasants. It's a 45 acre field of switch grass that can be seen on the video link at the end. For the last two years we have flushed about 80 pheasants from this field and we were hoping for an increase this year as last winter was mild in this area (this year too). We flushed 173 pheasants from this field this year. There is always a number of birds recounted but it easy to see the bird numbers exploded this year. Unfortunately, there is not nearly enough switch grass planted in this area but we are working as fast as we can to remedy that problem. Can we have wild pheasants in PA again?? Absolutely, it all comes down to habitat and how serious we are in putting it in place. Wild birds and quality cover equal a huntable population of wild birds. It's not rocket science. It just takes an effort to achieve. We also flushed 13 short eared owls (endangered in PA) and a bunch of rabbits. We saw three rabbit kills in the field but no pheasant kills. There were 87 roosters and 86 hens. That's a lot of nests come spring from just one field of birds.

Central Susquehanna PF Chapter

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Fantastic news. Hopefully we can get more landowners on board, and get some more habitat in place throughout the state.

I really wanted to make it today. Family death yesterday kinda put extra activities on hold for a bit.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Great news Lynn.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Well, well, well, what will all the nay sayers think about that! I can remember when they all lined up and said it couldn't be done in Pa. and that YOU were crazy and wasting your time and money. Some of these characters were so-called experts, CONGRATULATIONS MR.Appleman you certainly deserve it.
The jury is no longer out, we know what works. The only reason the program would not work would be because Pa. sportsman are not willing to work for it period!!!!

How did the rest of the survey go?

A 173 WILD PHEASANTS FROM ONE 45 ACRE FIELD!!!! Sleep well tonight my friend!

I wonder if that rag Newspaper will write a story on that.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Our group put up around 12 to 14 hens and 4 cockbirds. Where you been fldbred?

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
My son-n-law is a Wildlife Biologists in NJ, He needed our help on a eagle project, plus wrenched my back for the first one!
These flushing surveys are something we look forward to every year, as much as the hunting season itself. Wish I could have been in two places at once.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Sounds like a great day. I wish I could have been there but a stomach bug that's working through the house wouldn't let me attend.

Congratulations to all those that put in the work and that will continue to put in the work for the wild pheasants.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
That is really cool! I was in group 5 today and we moved just over 30 birds! It was great to see wild pheasants going up in groups!!!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Sounds like you had a good day to fldbred. Last week with that snow you had to kick them up today they were running like rabbits.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Sounds like a lot of WILD pheasants were moved today!
Congrats to Mr Appleman of course, but let's not forget our Pheasant Forever biologist Mr. Shon Robbins, and Ms. Colleen DeLong from the PGC.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We found a gem in Colleen.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Lynnappelman said:
We found a gem in Colleen.
You're right about that! It's great to see someone take pride in what they do. Don't tell her boss, but I think she would do this for nothing! lol.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to the 61 people and 39 dogs that helped on a cold and windy Sunday afternoon. You are an important part of the project and we couldn't do it without you

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Lynn,
I know I have asked you this before, but now that you have had more time to analyze it, is the switch grass the only difference in the 45 acre field compared to the others? That's an awful lot of birds in one small area, they must really like what's going on there.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The simple answer is yes. It is now so obvious that switch grass is the key because it provides the cover to get birds through the winter alive. One of the biggest keys is 45 acres. The bigger the field the better. A bird can flush and land in safety far from the threat. I totally believe that our future bird numbers are directly tied to the acres of switch grass we put on the ground.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts